Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot uninstall package, cant install any others  (Read 6447 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Cannot uninstall package, cant install any others
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »
I have tried some mods to the spash screen, and the latest one i installed, it gives me this error when i try to remove it

It may have been that i did not save the .deb file, and did a run without saving, or it may not be.

Code: [Select]
jared@jaredkat1:~$ sudo apt-get remove space-sunrise
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: The package space-sunrise needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
jared@jaredkat1:~$

I am unsure of how to remove it if it does stuff like this, also in the package manager that starts with s....
It just wont let me uninstall the package

ubuntu 11.10
dell laptop
64bit installation
is online

Any help appreciated, thanks
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Cannot uninstall package, cant install any others
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »
Sorry, I can't help much.
I notice you are using the 64 bit version. Is you PC an Intel or AMD.  There are 64 bit versions for each.

Just a suggestion. Using GPart, or another partition manager, make enough space for another install of Ubuntu using the 32 bit ISO . There is an alternative Ubuntu download that can double or triple your download for a new copy of Ubuntu. It uses a torrent, which is perfectly legal for Ubuntu.

Alternative downloads for Ubuntu
What you'll find there:
    Alternate installer details
    BitTorrent download
    The Windows based “Wubi” installer
    DVD downloads

My guess is you will not have the problem with the 32 bit version. But I am often wrong. Please come back. I need to know if I made a bad guess.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
download the .deb file again, and place it in /var/cache/apt/archives

Or, you might also try putting it in /tmp and try to remove it since the package manager may have installed it directly from there when you installed it from the browser; but the /tmp file is cleared on boot.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »
It is 64 Intel.

I would also perfer not to do a re-install because of the fact i did just a short while again and just now have everything reconfigured and working (until this happened)

also, i do not know how to place the .deb file in the archives folder, as i believe it is marked under ownership of root, meaning that i am unable to write to that pariicular area. And i have not been successfull in the copy command in terminal to transfer files into the "root owned" areas of the hard disk.

I appreciate the current help so far. Thanks

I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »
Try uninstalling it through the software center.

Or try

sudo apt-get remove plymouth-theme-space-sunrise
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »
Try uninstalling it through the software center.

Or try

sudo apt-get remove plymouth-theme-space-sunrise

Gave me same result of needs to be reinstalled, but cant find an archive....

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
Finally, a command that seems to have worked sucessfully without providing me with errors.

Upon reboot, i foud that the computer booted like it normally has, still using space-sunrise for the boot splash

although it lacks to tell me any errors so far..... Seems to have worked...
installing from the ubuntu software center is working fine as well..

Thanks for the help.