Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player Not Working  (Read 7729 times)

ExasperatedVulture

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows Media Player Not Working
    « on: April 10, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
    I realize that typically, you should have a less vague title than that, but I honestly don't know what to put there other than "It isn't working". I'm using Windows 7, and apparently that means my copy of Windows Media Player is Windows Media Player 12. Whenever I open a video, it'll open and begin playing the video, but the time bar at the bottom won't appear. I also can't click the minimize, restore, or exit buttons. I can't click the pause, fast forward or rewind buttons either. That's what happens if the video DOES open. Oftentimes, videos or audio files won't open at all, and will instead load permanently. When I open task manager, there's nothing under applications. When I switch over to processes, wmplayer.exe is there. If I clixk "End Process", it will bring up the "Are you sure you want to end wmplayer.exe 32" screen, and when I hit "Yes", it disappears. And that's it. Nothing happens after that. wmplayer.exe doesn't disappear from the list of processes, it doesn't stop loading. Nothing happens. The problem is seemingly worse with just audio files. It'll typically open, then play through the file (with the time bar appearing but being frozen in place a couple seconds through). After that, it'll replay the file again, then go silent, and I won't be able to click anything on the player. If I right click the taskbar icon for it and select "Close window", it'll just select the player again, and nothing will happen. I also get all the same problems ending the process. If the program does open and I can select it from applications, I and end it there, though it takes a long time for Windows to determine Windows Media Player is unresponsive and end it. Letting it check for solutions does nothing. When I select Windows Media Player from a menu or my taskbar (as opposed to opening a video with it), it just does nothing, permanently. It doesn't show up in applications, but does show up, again un-endable, in processes. The only way to stop the permanent loading once it starts is to restart my computer.

I had thought I could maybe just uninstall it and then reinstall it, and it would be fixed, but when I went to the Windows site, it seemed to indicate that Windows Media Player comes with Windows 7, and that that was the only way to get it (by buying a new copy of Windows 7). Also, like all good products, Windows' help site for Windows Media Player features a measly six questions under troubleshooting, none of them helpful. So basically, I can't watch any video files, or listen to any audio files. I can't open Windows Media Player to try to check for updates. I can't end it once it starts loading. I don't know if I can uninstall and reinstall it. Anyone know how to remedy this? I have something I need to do that involves video and audio files, and this is making it literally impossible.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows Media Player Not Working
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »
    First, I do not know how to make Windows Media Player work with video files when it does not play the video. Many users have complained about this even before Windows 7  was released.

You can use another video player.
    Media  Monkey
    http://www.mediamonkey.com
    VideoLan
    http://www.videolan.org
    Winamp
    http://www.winamp.com

This list is based on the recommendation of others.
    Personally, I like VideoLan.

ExasperatedVulture

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »
      Thanks. I downloaded that VideoLan thing, and it was simple enough to set my audio and video files to open with it by default.

And with the option to up the volume, I suppose I'm better of now than before.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »
      Thanks. I downloaded that VideoLan thing, and it was simple enough to set my audio and video files to open with it by default.

And with the option to up the volume, I suppose I'm better of now than before.
      I think the volume controls  work together. You system volume should be at  more or less half way if you want to use the control on the VLC. It also does full screen if you want to present to a small audience.

namsnice

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:45:54 AM »
      Moreever it seems something messed up with registry keys of windows media player....
      you may download advance system care from www.iobit.com...
      Install>launch>tootlbox>win fix>fix windows media player.....and all will be ok......

Moreever it will help you to clear out some more pc related problams....have a nice time with this freeware.....
      Best Regards
      Nams