Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP doesn't recognize Windows XP System disc  (Read 9269 times)

blithe spirits

Windows XP doesn't recognize Windows XP System disc
« on: May 26, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »
Hello
My system is
ateway Yorktown P-4 3.06 GHz
Intel GB845GER2 MB socket 478
2 GB Ram Crucial
(2) 40 GB hard drives
Creative SB audigy sound card
NVIDEA GeFORCE4 MX440 video card
PER PSU
My problem is that after replacing the Motherboard & PSU (keeping the Yorktown CPU) with used parts, the Windows XP O.S. won't accept my system disc as the original. I'v checked Microsoft Fix It solutions but don't see an answer there.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows XP doesn't recognize Windows XP System disc
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »
What exactly does it say on this system disc ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »
Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

First consider this. When you replace a motherboard the XP stem on the hard drive may not work at all. Or it may ask fro additional drivers.

There are at least three issues.
1.The HAL, Hardware Abstraction Layer, varies from one hardware set to another.
2. Specific drivers for drive controller, video graphics, network and audio differ.
3. Microsoft XP is licensed and activated for just one hardware set, according to the EULA. But if you buy an identical motherboard it may work.

In general, you need permission from MS to install a new motherboard. Unless this is a OEM PC. In which case you contact the OEM.

And after that you have to get all the right drivers.

Does this describe your problem? Or was there some other detail?

blithe spirits

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »
Hi Patio & Geek-9pm
Sorry, my OS is XP Pro 2002 SP3 w/office.  I bought the computer (sans hard drive) and Windows XP disc separately on eBay. 
Yes that describes my problem.
Window validates as Genuine and runs OK with the same quirks as before.   I think that since I kept the same CPU, audio card, video card added to a MB from a YORKTOWN, the system drivers work.
So, do I need to go into the  core & pull  HAL's chips?  Seriously, when I upgraded an old Dell, the computer told me what to do.  I've downloaded the .NET frame work so I can use  Microsoft FIX IT Solutions.  Will that help me?

blithe spirits

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
I found the Microsoft product support solution center & tried windows XP update product key for hardware change.  Got the message that my product key was already active.  Which I already knew.  So much for that.
When I tried to get the phone number for update product key, I got the message that I should:
click START/All Programs/system tools/activate windows  to get a phone number.  Since I don't have a product activation issue, that is a no-go.
Patio, I think what you really wanted to know was whether my XP disc is a commercial disc or an OEM disc.  It is a commercial disc.  It does not say that it can only to be used with a particular computer.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »
1.The HAL, Hardware Abstraction Layer, varies from one hardware set to another.
Typically, you have two. one for single processor and one for multiple processors.

Obviously if you are moving to another architecture the HAL will be different. (with the exception of moving from x86 to x64).

2. Specific drivers for drive controller, video graphics, network and audio differ.
The result being that when you first boot that system, none of those drivers load. There seems to be an assumption that if you install a driver, it will automatically load. It only loads if the DeviceID for which it is associated in the CurrentControlSet is found to exist. Otherwise, it isn't loaded.
3. Microsoft XP is licensed and activated for just one hardware set, according to the EULA. But if you buy an identical motherboard it may work.
OEM Windows is licensed for one hardware set, and typically the software activation is handled by SLIC or other BIOS integrated capabilities, making migrating the install unfeasible.
Retail, as I understand it, is licensed and activated for one machine. The system needs to detect a few changes before it will need to be reactivated again. Sometimes a motherboard with a lot of integrated components can set it off.

We still don't know what this "system disc" is. a Windows XP retail? OEM? a factory restore disk? etc.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

blithe spirits

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 05:54:50 PM »
BC_Programmer,  I bought the Windows XP disc on eBay.  The disc is printed with Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Logo and "select option #3".  It loads Windows XP pro, XP Home & XP business, Options and Compatibility.  I suspect it came from a salvage business computer.  I believe it it is a retail copy.
As I said, it checks as legitmate.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
The OP says:
My problem is that after replacing the Motherboard & PSU (keeping the Yorktown CPU) with used parts, the Windows XP O.S. won't accept my system disc as the original. I'v checked Microsoft Fix It solutions but don't see an answer there.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
There is something not clear.
...the Windows XP O.S. won't accept my system disc as the original..
What does that mean? What system disc?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »
BC_Programmer,  I bought the Windows XP disc on eBay.  The disc is printed with Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Logo and "select option #3".  It loads Windows XP pro, XP Home & XP business, Options and Compatibility.  I suspect it came from a salvage business computer.  I believe it it is a retail copy.
As I said, it checks as legitmate.

I would say that disc is a bootleg. I've never seen 3 versions of Windows on a single retail disc.

Does the CD have a holographic surface and come with a COA?

blithe spirits

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 03:47:59 AM »
No it doesn't have a hologram.  No, it doesn't look like the picture. Yes it came with a COA & a product key that Microsoft accepts.  It says the copy is for a DELL computer. That clears up everybody's questions.  Sorry it took so long.  It is an OEM disc for a Dell.  I may be out of luck using this disc any more.
Thanks,everybody.  I've learned what I needed to know & then some. 

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 05:43:57 AM »
..It is an OEM disc for a Dell.  I may be out of luck using this disc any more...
I see lots of those OEM disks.  They are customized by Dell and/or Microsoft for a particular series of computers.  The license/product key is attached to the computer, not the disk.  The disk may or may not work for various Dell models.  Since you have a Gateway & not a Dell, I would not expect it to work because they look for the Dell Service Tag in the BIOS.

blithe spirits

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
And yet work it does.    I looked in Device Manager at some of the drivers for system components.  The ATA controller is using an Intel driver, the NVIDEA video card is using drivers that I down loaded from the site.  The USB Hub controller uses an Intel driver, the monitor is an HP L1710 and uses HP drivers.  The rest of the hardware is running on Microsoft generic drivers.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 12:05:34 PM »
So the OP has a computer that is working and the OS is not from the company that made the computer.
Sp what is his problem?
The title of this is "Windows XP  doesn't recognize Windows XP System disc"
Could the OP clarify what this means?
What System disc?
Does he mean the hard drive?
Does he mean a CD he got from eBay?
Did I miss something?
How can anybody help if he problem is not understood!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »
Basically he's using an OEM Dell CD to do multiple installs on a non-Dell system...which i don't think we should be advising on any further so i'm outta here.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
Me too.