Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is my PC beyond recovery?  (Read 4898 times)

zumi

Is my PC beyond recovery?
« on: September 24, 2005, 07:44:52 AM »
It will probably be easier if I go through this like a story, so here goes.

I recently discovered a lot of spyware on my computer. It's always been up to date (Win XP SP2) regular spyware checks, etc. AdAware reported 93 critical files, which I cleared, I ran AA again the following day, and it was up to 263 critical files. Anyway, I ran AdAware, Spybot S&D and Microsoft Anti-spyware. I also cleared a few obvious things with Hijack This. (ie. p2pnetworking.exe)

After clearing it all, or so I thought, I rebooted the computer.. however, I was now unable to access the internet. Both my wireless network and ethernet reported "limited or no connectivity" despite my other computer (this one) being online with no problems. I searched it up and ran what I thought would help - WinsockxpFix. It didn't, and after restarting I had yet another error pop up on the screen -

"The network location from which the file should be copied, C:\windows\service
pack files\:386/controls.man, is not available."

It told me to insert my SP2 CD, which I don't have since I downloaded it through Windows Update, and after doing a thorough search of my computer for the file, there was still no luck. I attempted to solve this problem by uninstalling Service Pack 2, which, while it got rid of the message, it didn't really help anything.

Trying to run cmd crashed the it, it looks for "cmd.com" and I have to go to the system32 folder and find cmd.exe to get to it. This is the same for regedit. (there's a regedit.com file which is hidden in system32)

At some point during this, after restarting, my .exe's all duplicated. By that, I mean, in EVERY folder with an .exe file I have filename.exe and filename.exe(2) and uninstall.exe, uninstall.exe (2) My control panel list has doubled. I don't undestand this at all.

I've tried to partition the drive, I have 25GB free on there, yet when I go to partition it shows that the drive is full. I took this in to DOS which, also, said there were 0 Bytes free. I know this is not true.

It's at this point I'm thinking of buying a new hard drive (I don't want to lose any data on the current one) Am I looking at damage control here or what? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Raptor

Re: Is my PC beyond recovery?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 08:01:42 AM »
It's at this point I'm thinking of buying a new hard drive (I don't want to lose any data on the current one) Am I looking at damage control here or what? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Did you scan for viruses?

I think your system is compromised beyond comprehension. Back-up data and reformat.

Installing and Using Recovery Console

Perform a Repair Installation

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

Virus scanners
AVG Free
-- Anti virus scanner
Trend Micro Housecall
-- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
Microsoft Antispyware
-- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
Spybot Search & Destroy
-- Anti spyware scanner
Adaware SE Personal
-- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
Use both a hardware and software firewall.
Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
-- Free firewall - more user friendly
Sygate Personal
-- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
-- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
McAfee Stinger
-- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
CWshredder
-- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 08:14:35 AM »
Agreed. Reformat that bad boy. Be sure and load SP2 before youconnect to the internet when you are reinstalling everything. Backing up any data first is a good idea, of course.

R0SS

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 08:37:29 AM »
Your PC sounds like its riddled with viruses.

Wipe the slate clean.

R0SS

Mac

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 10:18:28 AM »
Which anti-virus program are you using?

zumi

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 05:39:53 PM »
Thanks for the help,all. I'm backing up what I can to DVD now.

Mac - I had Kaspersky anti-virus, but it would no longer let me update my definitions because my key was a year old and needed renewing. I'm not at college anymore so I had to pay for that.. I think I've learned my lesson.

Mac

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 04:52:34 AM »
It's a pleasure Zumi.

I use AVG Free Home Edition. It's a Scottish tradition.  I just don't like paying. Especially with all these 'religious' pickpockets and beggars about the place.  

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 04:56:05 AM »
Mac - I had Kaspersky anti-virus, but it would no longer let me update my definitions because my key was a year old and needed renewing. I'm not at college anymore so I had to pay for that.. I think I've learned my lesson.

kaspersky is quite good, but not when your license has expired.

Check the list I posted for freeware security tools.