Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is my password?  (Read 7988 times)

Bobh

What is my password?
« on: July 21, 2012, 07:20:36 PM »
Hi -
I started to up date my profile and found I forgot my password.  How can I get it back?    Bob

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: What is my password?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:14:46 PM »
Your ComputerHope.com forum password?
Perhaps you will want to use another computer so you will not have to log out.
Just go to www.computerhope.com/forum/ on another computer
On the Login page, click the "Forgot your Password?" link.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you continue to have troubles. We have limited ability in this type of issue, but we will do our best.

Bobh

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
Zyistra -
I do not have another computer.  If all else fails I can go to the library and use one there.  Is it possible for you to remove my profile completely and I will start over?  If you have need to e-mail me, my address is:  bobhlgh@[email removed to prevent spam]   not what is listed on my profile.    Robert Harwell
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:13:31 PM by Zylstra »

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »
you can send a PM to Nathan and he can change your password. Alternatively, if you want him to delete your profile he will, but all of your posts may also be deleted.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:02:21 PM by Allan »

Bobh

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »
Allan -
Please give me Nathan"s e-mail address so that I can ask him to delete my profile.  I think that is the easest way to fix my problem.     Bob        Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
You can send him a PM.
"Computer Hope Admin"

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
Zyistra -
I do not have another computer.  If all else fails I can go to the library and use one there.  Is it possible for you to remove my profile completely and I will start over?  If you have need to e-mail me, my address is:  [email protected]   not what is listed on my profile.    Robert Harwell
If you did a password reset, do you have access to the email address you originally registered with? (The Verizon address).
Unfortunately, you also need your password to change your email as well, I am guessing you might have figured that out already.

Like Alan said, contact Nathan. He would be able to initiate a password reset and change the email (if necessary). Be sure to provide him with your new email address when you contact him.

Just FYI: I removed your email from your post. I don't think we are using javascript obfuscation protection on this forum, and your email address might be easily picked up by email harvesters which can yield a great deal of spam.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
If one has forgotten their password, how are they posting?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking, but more specifically, why does he need password to update profile?  Once logged in, stay logged in.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
Regarding how the user is posting without knowing their password: the little "Always stay logged in" checkbox on the login page rings a very large bell..

A password is required to update certain elements of your profile in SMF by default, which is the case here on the CH forum. Not all parts of your profile require this, but anything under "account settings" does require a password.

The following changes require a password:
Your name (displayed name that people will see)
Email
Whehter users can email you or not
Showing your online status
Changing your old password
Changing your secret question.

Bobh

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »
Hi -
For those of you that I have confused.  I'm not to plain.  I have a new computer and a new provider.  I was with Verizon but now am with suddenlink.  The password I have used for a long time still gets me into Computerhope.  However when I tried to update my profile (like it makes a difference) I could not make any changes as my password was not accepted.  I put my profile infro in about 5 years ago so no telling what my password was then. Hopefully I will get this straightened out.  Somebody might want to know that I am 90 years old.  Ha  Ha I think the correct term is   LOL.
Thanks to those who responded.    Bob

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 08:08:18 PM »
The password I have used for a long time still gets me into Computerhope.  However when I tried to update my profile (like it makes a difference) I could not make any changes as my password was not accepted.  I put my profile infro in about 5 years ago so no telling what my password was then. Hopefully I will get this straightened out. 
This isn't making sense.  The password you use to login to the Computerhope.com forum is the same password you would use to change your password.  And, obviously, if you're entering your password when you login to the forum, then you know your password. 

Why do you even think you need to change your password?  Is it because you have a different ISP (Internet Service Provider) now?  Were you using Verizon email address when you were with them?  Are you now using a suddenlink email address? 

oldbob90

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »
Soybean -
Sorry I was so long in answering but I have been trying to get back into Computerhope.  What I have done is to set up a second account and registered as a new member.  Very long story from a person who did not know what he was doing.  When I changed provider and got a new computer I thought I had to have a new name and password.  I did not know that a lot of stuff stayed with you.  Anyway I now have the ability to get help which is very important to me.    Thanks to all that tried to help.    Oldbob90   used to be Bobh

batlon13

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »
    Hi everybody,

I am Batlon. i have a computer and i also give my password in my computer for my profile. but now i forget my password. so what can i do now and how can i get my password back. please anyone suggest me.

oldbob90

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »
    batlon -
    You should post your own question seperate from my question.  That way the people who help will have a seperate question to answer.      Bob