Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: activex version not installed  (Read 12200 times)

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
    activex version not installed
    « on: August 02, 2012, 12:20:29 PM »
    I hope I'm posting to the right forum.  I've installed  the latest version of Adobe Flasher Player from Adobe's site, and it appeared to install OK, but when I go to Control Panel>Flash Player>Advanced tab:

Activex version:  not installed
    Plug-in version:  11.3.300.268

After Flash Player installed, it loaded an Adobe webpage indicating that Flash Player installed successfully.

Why is Activex version not installed, and how do I go about installing it?  When I click on the "Check Now" button, it loads an Adobe page indicating that I have the latest version installed (11.30.300.268)

Thanks in advance.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: activex version not installed
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:05:04 PM »
    What OS ? ?
    Have you done any Windows Updates on it ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
      Sorry patio.  I knew I'm supposed to give more info so you guys know what you're dealing with.

HP Pavilion a1412n
      Windows XP Home Ediition SP3
      all Windows updates installed OK (I ck. back quite often after Recovery for new updates, and, so far, no new
      ones have been offered)
      Avast AV Free
      Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
      Spybot S&D
      SUPERAntiSpywere
      Spywareblaster
      Windows Defender
      fresh destructive System Recovery

After last System Recovery, the Activex version was the same as Activex Plug-in version, but, now, for some reason, I can't seem to get the Activex version to appear in the Flash Player applet Advanced tab as before.  I
      use Freecorder (don't have it installed as of yet because Applian says to make sure the Activex version is updated).

Hope this helps you out some.

Thanks

Hope this clears up some of the muddy water in this situation.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
        Hmmmmmm--thanks for the link patio, but the 1st sentence "You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection"--on a FRESH DESTRUCTIVE System Recovery??????  I'm finding THAT hard to swallow.  lol

BTW, I ran Hijack This, along with all the other scanners mentioned above, plus Trenmicro Housecall, and the machine is clean.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
        Good evening emptypockets62426

If I can give my 2 cents.

If you still have a flash issue go to http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/shockwave.html#.UBxwfVLx90I then when you are at the web page scroll 3/4's down the page and look on the LEFT for the download then there is a plus to this and that it is a complete stand alone installer and the version is 11.5.9.615 that fixes a lot of flash issue's. I "TOTALLY" trust the site I have been getting complete installer packages for years from there web site. Just leave the old "Flash alone" and use the installer to go over / update the one you have installed.   

Hope this helps, please let us know how you make out. Mike
        Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
          Re: activex version not installed--SOLVED
          « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 09:34:06 AM »
          Thanks for your reply Mike.  Last night I gave her another try with a diff. approach than what I'd been doing.

I found a standalone installer of Adobe Flash Payer (don't remember what ver. it was now, but it was older than what I had currently installed), installed it and rebooted.

Then I went to Adobe page, downloaded and installed the latest ver. and rebooted again.

Got back into Win XP, went to Control Panel, opened Flash Player applet>Advanced Tab and, lo and behold, Activex Version is now installed (finally)!!!.  Ver. 11.3.300.268
          Activex Plug-in Version was upgraded to Ver. 11.3.300.270

This a.m. I'm ckg. this thread to see if anyone had any suggestions and found yours.  I think I did last night what you basically suggested that I muddled through on my own.

BTW, I changed the subject line to SOLVED.  Is that the right way to do this when the prob. is resolved?

Thanks again Mike. 

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
            Never mind Mike. I see the "Mark Solved"  ck. mark now.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
            I have no idea how Flash solved the issue as it has nothing to do with ActiveX...but glad to hear you are fixed up...