Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I maximise my Internet speed and minimise my ping?  (Read 8899 times)

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    How can I maximise my Internet speed and minimise my ping?
    « on: August 23, 2012, 08:03:32 AM »
    Dear Experts,

My internet is graded A by pingtest.net BUT since I live in India, I experience a lot of lag and high ping while playing game servers, since most are situated abroad. So I wanted to maximise my speed without having to change my internet connection.

I think a great step ahead would be by stopping unnecessary programs from using the internet especially when they are not in use. I use Wireshark but I don't really understand how it works because it does not let me stop the programs from using up my bandwith. I have realised that utorrent is using up a lot of my bandwith despite not downloading anything. How can I stop this?

My pingtest results are 0% packet loss, 15ms ping and 1ms jitter, but this was with a server real close to me in Mumbai. But when I tried again with some server in Chicago, I got D with 2% packet loss, 303 ms ping and 46ms jitter. So how can I reduce ping?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How can I maximise my Internet speed and minimise my ping?
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »
    Good morning XtrGamer

A lot of this is out of your control if you are getting "My pingtest results are 0% packet loss, 15ms ping" local by you but when you check over seas and "But when I tried again with some server in Chicago, I got D with 2% packet loss, 303 ms ping and 46ms jitter. So how can I reduce ping?" if I am not mistaken the internet when it comes from your country to the US it is done with Big Sat dish and if that is the case Sat dishes always have much higher ping times and latency.

Also when you join a game room and lets say there is 4 people in the room. Person 1 has 10 mb connection with 25ms ping, Person 2 has has 8 mb connection with 35ms ping & Person 3 has 1.5mb connection with a 350ms ping & person 4 has 15 mb connection with 15ms ping then everyone in that room will slow down to person 3 speeds. Another words the slowest person dictates the speed in a lot of the game servers room.

When you go to join a game room look for game room that have as close as possible to your speeds will help you a lot. Also personally my self (as I don't trust) any torrent P2P programs I would UN-install it. You can get all kinds of virus etc even if you are not downloading anything because those ports are always open / leaching off of you. Now wire-shark is very handy to see what IP connections you have etc it really is not going to help you by stopping anything if that is what you mean. All it really does is monitor your connections.

Hopefully this helps you, Mike

PS i can not give you any advice on your torrent program other than in my opinion to remove it.   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »
      Thank you for your help.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
      Good afternoon XtrGamer and welcome back to CH

You are very welcome.

Have a nice day, Mike
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »
      if I am not mistaken the internet when it comes from your country to the US it is done with Big Sat dish

Where did you get that idea from?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »
      Good afternoon Salmon Trout

From some of the information that I know of and have read most of the internet when it travels from there country to the US is done with a dish. Unless there is fiber that runs under the ocean in some kind of casements.

Am I wrong? but like i posted "if I am not mistaken the internet when it comes from your country to the US it is done with Big Sat dish and if that is the case Sat dishes always have much higher ping times and latency." but if it is done wish a dish there is a huge latency that comes to using a dish. If the connection is done with fiber than obviously there would be almost no latency.

How is done going from there to US?

Thanks a bunch, Mike   

gettingthere

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »
        internet travels the same lines and paths that telephone does, satellite generally is not used for public internet use unless you count hughes network or somebody that sells the services to individuals for personal use..............gettingthere

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »
        good evening gettingthere

Thank you I am aware of hugesnet, wildblue and there services I have used both of them in the past. So you are saying that there is a pipe or conduit that runs under the oceans from country to country? In general I was not only talking about the OP internet I was referring to his country to the US when he did a ping test.

Hopefully I was able to write it down correctly so the point I was trying to make, sorry I didn't mean to be general in my reply that is why I put in "if I am not mistaken". So I stand corrected I just found more wiki's etc it seems to be a combination of both cables and large sat's. I just had to change my search methods and turned up more results.

Have a good night, and thanks to all. Mike     

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 01:22:28 AM »
        The backbone of the Internet is fibre-optic cable (or fiber-optic in the USA). Countries on the six populated continents (Europe, Asia, North America, South America, Australia, Africa) are linked by fibre optic cable. The seventh continent Antarctica is not yet linked to the world wide fibre-optic network and is served by satellite.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
        Good morning Salmon Trout

Thank you so much for the info.

Enjoy, Mike