Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive removal problem  (Read 10479 times)

02bin3

External Hard Drive removal problem
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:42:30 AM »
When I click on the icon in the task bar to remove my external hard drive, it tells me that I can't remove it as it is in use.  All I have are files on the hard drive and none of them are open when I want to remove it from my computer.  Is there something here that I am not understanding about how external hard drives work?  I usually end up removing it after I shut down, but it is worrisome that I can't remove it because something on it is running when I know there are no open files.  Does anyone have an explanation for this and/or a solution?  Thank you

truenorth

Guru

Re: External Hard Drive removal problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
    There could be things on the harddrive that are in fact maintaing contact with the web that are not being used (depending what you have on there). However in the interim following the procedure that you are will not cause any adverse effects to  the computer or the external HDD.You might want to try another USB port (preferably in the rear) but it may make no difference. As i'm sure you know NEVER shut off the HDD or disconnect it until the computer is shut down as long as this conditions persists.truenorth

After posting doing some research on your behalf i found this solution on another forum.You might want to see if it is applicable to your situation.It is for a specific HDD however the process may be universal for all external HDD.
    Re: WD Passport - constantly "in use"/cannot safely remove?
     I found a solution, at least for XP. Click on the Start Button, then right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
     Next, select the Hardware tab and click on the Device Manager button.
     Expand the Disk Drives section, then right-click on the WD Passport drive.
     Click Properties.
     Click the Volumes Tab, then click Populate.
     Right-click on the Volume name.
     Click the Properties button.
     On the General Tab, note whether the checkbox entitled, "Allow Indexing Service to index this drive for fast file searching" is checked. If it is, uncheck it and then click Apply.
     This will iterate through all the files on the WD Passport drive, and may take a few minutes to complete.
     Now click OK.
     Click OK again on the drive properties window.
     Close the Device Manager window.
     Click OK on the System Properties window.
     Whew.
     Now you should be able to Safely Remove the drive.
     It appears that if you've enabled Indexing Services for your C drive, XP will do you the favor of enabling it for added drives, which makes it impossible to safely remove the drive.
     Hope that saves a few headaches. 

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »
    Do you have a Windows Explorer window open where you were browsing files on the external hard drive?  If so, I believe that will cause the behavior you describe so you should close the Windows Explorer window.  This would apply to the special Windows Explorer windows such as Documents, Pictures, Music, etc., also.

02bin3

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »
    It is indeed a WD Passport HD, and I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.  It has also done the same thing on my Desktop that runs Windows 7 Professional.  I will try your suggestions and hope that they work for Windows 7.  If not, I'll be back...........
    Thank you both for your time and effort.

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
    My error.  It is on a Windows Vista Home Premium system presently.  I am confusing it with my son's computer that has Windows 7 Home Premium and I've been working on his computer lately.  Anyway, I tried as truenorth had suggested and got as far as the General Tab and there was no checkbox entitled "Allow Indexing Service to index this drive for fast file searching".  I clicked on all the tabs to see if possibly it had been moved from where it was on XP, but there was nothing on the other tabs.  And there are no Window's Explorer windows open as Soybean suggested I look for.  (And thank you.  There is no "Thank You" for me to click on to send you both a Thank You.  For whatever reason, it doesn't show up on this computer.  Very strange.)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »

02bin3

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »
      This link is essentially the same as the suggestion from truenorth.  I did as it instructed and still come up with no box to uncheck.  However, I did the same thing for the main "C" drive and there was a check box there that is labeled:  Index this drive for faster searching.  If I unchecked that do you think it would have any affect on the "F" drive that is the WD Passport external HD?  Thank you,

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:52:21 PM »

It should look either like the one found above. Can you post a screenshot? Is the WDC partitioned?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:17:51 AM »
      I did as it instructed and still come up with no box to uncheck
      The option is not present for FAT32 formatted drives . I would just make sure the removal policy is ticked.

02bin3

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »
        It is FAT32 and I did find the small window that gives me the option to change the Policy to Quick Removal.  I've never tried to embed an image on this Forum before so this is strictly trial and error.  If it appears, great, if not, back to the drawing board.  The image that I am hoping appears here is of the Properties for the Passport HD.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
      May i ask why it is FAT 32 ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

02bin3

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
      That is what is was when I got it and I did not know whether it should have been reformatted or not.  Truthfully, I really don't know what the difference is between FAT & NTSF nor why one would be any better than the other.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
      You will be safe with the Quick removal as I sometimes encounter this instances of still being use.

02bin3

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
      Thank you, Jason 2074, I will try that.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
      Thank you, Jason 2074, I will try that.

In today's world you should switch it to NTFS...as usual when making disk changes you should backup all important data...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "