Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacing CPU/ Motherboard, need advice  (Read 6242 times)

9bjames

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Replacing CPU/ Motherboard, need advice
    « on: October 02, 2012, 07:45:49 AM »
    Hey, I've slowly been upgrading my PC over the few years I've had it, starting with RAM, then graphics cards/ PSU etc, and I'm finally getting to the point where I'm thinking of going to the next step with a new motherboard and CPU (and using the old components to rebuild the initial computer). Really, I'm not sure where to start looking with this, it seems wierd basing everything around the compatibility of all the other components... but it's at the point where I don't want to start a new build, knowing the money I've spent on quality components (well, reasonable quality).

Here's the main parts of my build so far:

Case - NZXT Phantom (plenty of fans)
    CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 630
    Motherboard - PEGATRON CORPORATION Narra6 Chipset Model MCP61
    Graphics - GeForce GTX 460
    RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x4GB)
    Hard drive - 1TB WDC WD10 EADS-65M2B1
    PSU -  OCZ Fatal1ty Series 550W Modular PSU

I've found a bundle which I'm interested in right now, for a CPU, motherboard, and more RAM:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/394074-amd-prebuilt-bundle-with-gigabyte-ga-78lmt-s2p-socket-am3-motherboard-amd-fx-4100-processor-gbt-amd-4100-4gb.
    Would these work with the other components I'm using right now?
    If anyone knows of anything better around the same price range, I'd really appreciate the advice.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Replacing CPU/ Motherboard, need advice
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
    This barebone setup comes with RAM that is faster than your existing RAM and I wouldnt mix RAM speeds.

Yesterday I was looking at a similar upgrade myself as for I am running Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz AM3 CPU in a AM2+ motherboard that is at its Memory Limit of 4GB of DDR2 800Mhz. I too have gone the path of small upgrades over time in which a motherboard upgrade is needed to upgrade further.

I found an AM3+ mATX motherboard that supports 16GB of DDR3 and was going to go with that solution, but was advised to avoid MSI Brand and go with ASUS or Gigabyte Brand. Now looking at your post, I have to Thank You for posting this, as for the board you linked is a perfect match for what I need since it claims to support 16GB is an AM3+ mATX, and has dual PS2 keyboard/mouse ports to work with my 4-port older PS2 type KVM!  ;D

With this bundle everything you have will work except I wouldnt mix the 1600Mhz with 1333Mhz RAM. It comes with 1 x 4GB 1600Mhz RAM stick. I'd pick up another 4GB 1600Mhz stick and have 8GB of faster RAM if you want to use the stick that comes with this. Otherwise dont use the 4GB stick that comes with this and just move your existing 8GB RAM over at 1333Mhz. * Sometimes you can mix fast and slow RAM and have 12GB and the faster 1600Mhz stick will downclock to 1333Mhz, but this is not an option with only 2 RAM slots anyways.

As for myself I want to make the leap to the maximum memory of 16GB of DDR3 1600Mhz, and use the rest of my existing hardware including Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz AM3 CPU until the quadcore isnt enough and upgrade further. Now that I know what board to look for I can try to find the board alone and match it up with 16GB 1600Mhz RAM and move my CPU over to it.  ;)

My current setup is:

AM2+ Biostar MCP6PB M2+ Motherboard
    (Originally a dual-core Sempron x 2 2.00Ghz, barebone $65 Motherboard / CPU Combination bought in 2008)
    Now an AM3 Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz ( from a free upgrade out of a bricked HP that I yanked the CPU out of that was being thrown away a year ago)  ;D
    2 x 2GB Corsair 800Mhz DDR2 RAM ( Ram I bought for $10 off my brother )
    PCIe Radeon 5450HD 1GB DDR3 Video Card ( $30 video card )
    OCZ Agility 90GB SSD SATA III running at SATA II backwards compatability ( $65 back to school Newegg special )
    Seagate 500GB SATA II Hard Drive ( was found thrown away dead, sent it back to seagate for warranty replacement when i found it was still under waranty, my cost = $6 shipping - Got replacement drive 2 weeks later   ;D )
    ----------------------------------------------

New Build will be:

Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz in an AM3+ Motherboard
    ( I want the AM3+ for processor support for the FX chips when I get one cheaply, it was convenient that my AM2+ supported the AM3 that I got for free. Maybe having the AM3+ will allow for another free future upgrade)
    16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 Corsair RAM
    *All other hardware migrated over drives & video card.
    And the upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit

9bjames

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
      Okay, thanks!
      I've heard about not mixing RAM speeds before, and was considering buying something faster anyhow. Buying more RAM isn't too expensive at least, so I think I can afford it, and even give the sticks in there right now to boost up the old PC I'm rebuilding (it was originally 2 slightly slower 4GB ones, so win win!).
      Either way, thanks again, and glad my post helped ya out as well. =)

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
      Just wanted to mention that I am finding mixed information for this motherboard as far as maximum RAM support. I was going to buy this board for $60 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128504&Tpk=GA-78LMT-S2P and when taking the time to verify specs ( 8GB Maximum Memory ) caught my eye. The site your barebone is listed on as well as Gigabytes website state 16GB Max DDR3 RAM 1333+ , YET ... the memory supported page here http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-78lmt-s2p.pdf shows NO SUPPORT for 8GB RAM sticks! 

So if you are buying this for 16GB Max Ram like I want to, you might want to check with the business that you buy this from to verify that it will take 16GB with only 2 x DDR3 slots and memory supprt that suggests 4GB MAX per slot. I contacted Gigabyte support requesting maximum memory verification as for I believe the 16GB as advertised is incorrect.  Doubling my RAM isnt worth spending money for, but 4 x my current RAM count from 4GB to 16GB + being able to migrate my CPU and all other devices except for RAM is what I need. You too might want 16GB Max RAM supported as well to be worth it!  :o

9bjames

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »
        I'm personally fine with 8gb RAM, as it more than suits my current needs. =P
        It's a shame not having the option to upgrade to 16GB like it states, and really that should be changed on the website (false advertising)... but for now I'll survive, since I've already ordered the bundle anyway, hehe.
        Some of the main issues with my current build are that it could be faster, and I have the need for the 2 extra sata ports... as well as solving that, it seems to suit all my other needs, so long as it'll all work fine together... so no worries.
        Thanks again though for the warning. =)

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »
        Hey no problem and glad that its still what you need after ordering it already and finding out later that it supports only 8GB as mentioned in the manual that I just dug up. http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-78lmt-s2p_v.5.0_e.pdf As someone already suggested, I might have to go with an ATX vs mATX motherboard to get 4 memory slots for the 16GB RAM that I need. Wasn't planning on replacing the case that I like, so I am being a little hesitant as for I'd like to have an AM3+ motherboard with 16GB DDR3 RAM for under $150 and the larger case replacement would put me above what I really want to spend. I am a penny pincher when it comes to computer hardware, I generally run it into the ground before moving on to new hardware and perform lots of small upgrades inexpensively to stay up to date with modern computing needs taking advantage of free or inexpensive upgrades when they come my way.  ;D