Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Delete File  (Read 4596 times)

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
    Can't Delete File
    « on: October 02, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »
    There is some web pages that I saved to my desktop that I no longer have a use for an when I go to delete them.  It prompts me that the file is to large an I cant get rid of it.  Windows XP Pro SP 3 (DELL).  I also, tried doing it from the command prompt an wasnt able too

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Can't Delete File
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »
    Move them to the recycle bin one at a time...then empty the bin...
    Lather, rinse...repeat.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
      • Yes
      • The Doctor
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 02:23:06 PM »
    If it's not desirable to first put something in the recycle bin, then before you hit "Delete" press and hold the left shift key.
    It "Shifts" the delete command, from putting something in the Recycle Bin, to throwing it completely OUT of the computer.  OUT The Window, so to speak.

Don't do this with anything that you may ever want to restore.

Good Luck,
    The Shadow  8)
    Experience is truly the best teacher.
    Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

ninjatex

Beginner

• Call The Ninja
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:25:27 AM »
    I've come across this before, try booting off an Ubuntu live CD (see ubuntu.com) and delete it that way.
    Senior Technician at Call The Ninja Computer Repair
    Serving Eugene, OR
    http://www.calltheninja.com

blindhelpfultech

Beginner
    • Nadia
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
    Is the error this file is too long for the Recycle Bin? Happens when you name your files to long and itdoes not want to take them, but I am not sure the technical reason, although that would be nice to know why the computer does not like the long file names
    Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »
      Move them to the recycle bin one at a time...then empty the bin...
      Lather, rinse...repeat.

It still wouldnt delete them for some reason. 

Is the error this file is too long for the Recycle Bin? Happens when you name your files to long and itdoes not want to take them, but I am not sure the technical reason, although that would be nice to know why the computer does not like the long file names

Its not the eight dot three I can tell you that much.

blindhelpfultech

Beginner
      • Nadia
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »
      You could try a program called fileunlocker, requires a system reboot most of the time before it removes the file and it is all the files or just one or a few files on your xp system?

Note: This website link takes you outside of the domain www.computerhope.com and is governed by different Terms of Service and Privacy Polices and are not the same as computer hope.
      Link http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/download/cabc22fd2a03b6da17791d9855e0d5f4/

Be Careful as you do not want to install a toolbar

Best of file deleting,
      Nadia
      Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
        I used something from kim kamando called file killer got rid of the contents of the second file I been trying to remove.  The down side is that I cant get rid of the other file an tried even useing knoppix