Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why do I need SORCE CODE for my website??  (Read 4428 times)

sufirosso

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Why do I need SORCE CODE for my website??
    « on: December 03, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
    Hi Everybody,

I never got a copy of the source code when I had my website built few months ago. It`s an asp.net website.
    I`m trying to understand if I really need them or having a copy of the website files (from my FTP) is enough.
    Some people are  telling me that if I ever need in the future to change or modify or update my website I`ll need the source code, because probably the codes on the FTP are compiled...
    Others are telling me that any developer can work from the files that I already have copied and if necessary they can always use a decompiler...

What`s your opinion/suggestion?

Much appreciated

thank you

S.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Why do I need SORCE CODE for my website??
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »
    ASP.NET compiles. The stuff on your server is compiled.

Could somebody make changes to your site without the Source? yes, as you mentioned, they could decompile it.

But this removes loads of information from the original source; code comments are gone, for example. Many variable names as well, which are helpful for establishing a cognitive flow. Making changes to a website by decompiling what is currently there is analogous to trying to rebuild a racecar after a car crash. You have all the parts, but so many of them are unrecognizable and useless, and when you put in your own you find problems.

Basically if you try to get a developer to make changes to your site based on the decompiled assemblies, it will cost probably a lot more.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.