Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Confused  (Read 3248 times)

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Confused
    « on: January 03, 2013, 02:50:20 AM »
    Hi, I have just bought a Motorola Surfboard extreme wireless cable modem gateway, model SBG6580. I have it working on my desktop but want to make my laptop wireless and private. I lost my CD to the modem so can anyone please walk me thru making my laptop wireless, thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Confused
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:02:44 AM »
    http://www.motorola.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-Site/Sites-Motorola_US-Library/default/v1335985434876/Promotion/cross-sell/cable-modem/SURFboard_SBG6580_UserGuide.pdf?version=1,336,493,317,000
    Above link is Manual for this which will help you connect via wifi.

There is also this user guide:

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Home-and-Office/Cable-Modems-and-Gateways/SBG6580-SURFboard-Wireless-Cable-Modem-Gateway/Documents/Static-Files/SURFboard_SBG6580_UserGuide.pdf

You will have to have a Cat5 cable available and connect to the modem with a computer via Cat5 cable. Then try to access it at its default IP address which might be http://192.168.1.1 which can be accessed by copy/paste or typing this into browser window. If modem is at this IP address you will be brought to a page requiring a username and password. If you haven't changed this information it will be the default username and password. This will be in the manual and sometimes is stated onthe label on the modem. Once you are able to log into the modem, the first step is to change the password and write down what you are changing it to someplace safe. I use a permanent marker and write the new password on bottom of my router/modem etc. Next change its name from Motorola etc to something else, such as I named mine BlackBox to identify my wireless network from everyone elses in neighborhood. Next follow the instructions in the manual to create your wireless network. Once you have create a wireless network which hopefully is WEP at most minimum security with WPA being far better for security, you should be able to then search for wireless networks with your laptop. If you named yours BlackBox and you detect it when searching for wireless networks, select that and select to connect to it. You will then if youproperly secured it be required to enter a key etc to authenticate the laptopto your wireless network and each time you turn on your laptop from then on, it will search for this wifi after windows boots up, and you should no longer be prompted to have to bother with this again, as long as nothing changes on your modem in regards to configuration.

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Confused
      « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:35:52 AM »
      Thanks for the reply and help.