Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Red X upon Start after recovery  (Read 2376 times)

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    Red X upon Start after recovery
    « on: February 02, 2013, 09:58:37 AM »
    Have a Velocity PC 64 bit with Windows 7 and I'm trying to bring the machine back from a electrical spike and change of the P.S. unit as a result. When I run the Start up Disk from the CD ROM (won't boot from HD) and select dif. options for loading drivers \ or Back up (using Genie Timeline) I keep getting " Specified location does not contain information about your hardware. Treid to load the Velocity Driver CD and select boot drivers or anything from that and I get the same warning. As an important "side issue" I have 2 HDs and I broke the pins for the interface conector as I was wrestling withthe power cords. Disconnected the drive so I am just using the other. Restarted with repair disk (Bios set for CD boot 1st)

Machine on boot loads Windows files (black screen) then then Microsoft Corp load logo and always to the Sys. Rec. Options window dialog Box> load drivers> I insert the Velosity Drivers CD and I get the Red X that the locatiion does not contain info. on Hardware. Tried booting from the Windows 7 software OS and nothing will load due to same Red X waring on the hardware ont being present.
    I cannot run a system image either from the Genie timeline. Get a yellow ! telling me to attach the HD and try again.
    Are both Hard drives gone as well as my P.S. (which I replaced)?
    I had to replace the battery as well.
    wolfrunner

truenorth

Guru

Re: Red X upon Start after recovery
      « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:38:33 PM »
      To determine the functionality of the harddrives you could temporarily connect them to another computer and see if they are readable and recognized. Depending on whether they are sata or ide there are differences as to the manner of attachment and possibility of settings changes required on the added HDD. I think you need to determine if they have been damaged before you can proceed. If you need help on doing this just ask and we'll come a runnin.truenorth

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:41:45 PM »
        The HD and CDRom drives are fine. I can't start in Windows mode, Safe Mode. The only way I can get to any Windows O.S. is by putting the CD in for Vista or Win. 7 and boot from those, install, then after an install the screen shot of everything (files, features and updates loading, completes install then shuts down/ restartss and di get: Red X with: The Comp. restarted unexpectedly. Or encountered a prob. Windows can not proceed. Restart now to continue install. I restart and:Windows can't complete the installRestaart to continue.
        At one point I did get a Blue Screen with about 1200 characters telling me that the computer would shut down to prevent damage to the comp.  and it restarts automatically. And that can't be good. Where do I go from here?
        wolfrunner

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »
          Never ever give up: turned out the boot order of my CD Drives is now different. So I thought I would try the Win.7 upgrade disk in the opposite CD than I had used for yrs. as the 1st CD and it worked! I am now installing the updates to the system. Now, all I have to do is get ride of the other 3 Vista installs that are not complete but take up space on my HD. I think all is good as I download 134 more udates......
          wolfrunner

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
            I do agree re the "never give up". Yes sometimes the simple things are overlooked. Well done hopefully the problem you posted is behind you. However don't let your guard down there will be others. I just turned on a computer today(hadn't been turned on in at least 3 years) that started out as a BIOS password issue. Solved that to find "primary disc drive unavailable".Could be many reasons for that so onward and upward.truenorth