Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connecting a Windows XP Cmptr to a Wndws NT net  (Read 2393 times)

DaynLarz

Connecting a Windows XP Cmptr to a Wndws NT net
« on: October 06, 2005, 08:29:10 AM »
Recently I purchased a computer with Windows XP to replace my 2 office computers.  The 2 office computers operate with Windows NT 4.0; one is the main computer and the other the work station.  

I want to copy the information that is on the 2 computers onto DVD-cds using the new computer.   I have tried connecting to the network without sucess so far.  I have tried connecting to the hub and tried a direct connection to the main computer.    

Are Windows XP and Windows NT compatible; can they talk to each other?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Computer_Commando

Re: Connecting a Windows XP Cmptr to a Wndws NT ne
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 11:00:29 AM »
1.  I have tried connecting to the network without sucess so far.  I have tried connecting to the hub and tried a direct connection to the main computer.    

2.  Are Windows XP and Windows NT compatible; can they talk to each other?  

1.  Need more info.
2.  Yes and yes.  WinXP is WinNT 5.1

DaynLarz

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 09:37:34 PM »
Thanks for the response.

Here's some info:

New Computer:
Gateway 835 GM Pentium D
Windows XP - Media Center Edition V 5.1

Main Computer on Network:
Compaq Prosignia 200
x86 Family Model 2 Stepping 12
AT/AT Compatible
Windows NT V 4.0

w/Compaq Proliant Storage System F1
(has 3 hard drives, 4.3 gb each)

Link Builder 3 Com 3C16170 TP/12 Hub

The network system dates from 1997 or so.

I have connect the cable form the ethernet port of the new cable to the hub.  Use the New Connection Wizard on the new computer which then took me to hte Network Setup Wizard to establish a new connection to the network using a VPN.  This creates a new icon in the Network Connection window.  I have click this and get the following error message:

Error 800
Unable to establish the VPN connection.  The VPN server may be unreachable or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection.

I have tried reconfiguring the connection, putting in the old compurters IP address and domain and both.  Still no connection.  

When the error message comes up it says it will "redail" in so many seconds.  Why is it trying to connect by dialing?  The existing workstation just connects to the domain of the main computer (no dialing that I know of).

I just want to connect to the old system, copy that data onto DVD disk and then the old system is off to charity.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 09:46:04 PM »
Well are the files shared? They have to be shared in order for you to access them. Also make sure your firewall allows connection to both computers.