Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD Discs  (Read 3109 times)

Wyngs

Topic Starter

Beginner

DVD Discs
    « on: February 08, 2013, 03:21:40 AM »
    I use DVD-R discs for recording various videos of You Tube etc. I may have had 2 disc failures in about 200 burns.

However, I just opened a new container of Sony DVD-R and the first three discs got to 99% then failed to finish. An error window came up.

This sounds almost like I'm using the wrong discs, but I've always used DVD-R. Does anyone have a clue what might be up? Looking in systems it says the drive is working properly.

Thanks in advance.

W7 with a multi-drive (One drive does everything).

Salmon Trout

Re: DVD Discs
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 06:24:56 AM »
    two thoughts

1. The disks could be fake or a bad batch. Try a supect disk in another drive.  You could take them back and get different ones. if you still get the problem...

2. 200 burns is a significant number for the write laser lifetime, especially in a short period of time. Possibly it is dying.

Wyngs

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:23:46 PM »
      Thank you, Sal

Both are possibilities, but I think # 2 is unlikely because it burned good right up to the new package. However, such coincidences do occur.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:34:05 PM »
      Also, if the OP wants to dig into this more, he could visit
      http://club.myce.com/
      That forum used to be called "CD-Freaks" and they are deep into CD and DVD recording ideas.

Of course, CH is still the best place for general PC topics.

Wyngs

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »
        Just to update this....

I could find nothing wrong, so I perservered attempting to burn discs. Of the pack of 15 Sony DVD-R, the first 12 failed. The last 3 worked fine.

I decided to go ahead and open the the second pack of 15, rather then take them back, thinking maybe I just had the bad luck to run into a bad batch. Of the first 3, 1 failed.

I'm of the opinion something is wrong with quality control at Sony. I've picked up a 50 pack of Memorex. After I get done with the Sony, it will be interesting to see how the Memorex perform.

Maybe, as someone here suggested, the burner is just wearing out.

Thanks again for the suggestions, peeps.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:42:59 AM »
        Maybe, as someone here suggested, the burner is just wearing out.

Could be. New DVD burners are cheap now. You could try a lens clean first. I have heard that dust on a laser lens can make a drive get fussy about disks.