Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows media player  (Read 3712 times)

Marjorie

Topic Starter

Beginner

windows media player
    « on: May 01, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
    windows media player freezes my computer. When I open it, I cannot use anything on my computer, my e-mail freezes up, IE freezes up, everything. I have to restart the computer before it gets back to normal.  I have uninstalled it, re-installed it, but it didn't help. Please help!!!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: windows media player
    « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »
    Please reply back with system make/model/specs , as well as was your system ever infected with a virus prior to this to where you are dealing with corruption of the system?

Marjorie

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »
      My computer is  a H.P. pavillion h8-1380t.  Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit. 2 TB hard drive, integrated sound (Beats audio) Intel core I-7

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »
      Did you create a system recovery media set yet, or did your system come with DVDs to be able to set it back to factory default?

Most system recovery media gives 2 choices, #1 is to wipe drive clean and install all clean and all personal data is wiped out, and #2 perform a system recovery which does not delete all your data.

Since you tried to repair media player without success, I would use the system recovery media set on it and set it back to factory settings, then perform all system updates etc. Becore doing this, I'd backup all important data to an external hard drive or thumb drive to avoid data loss.

Marjorie

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »
        That is something I am trying to avoid.  I don't want to wipe my computer out. Is there no other way to repair this?  Can I have windows media 11 on my computer instead of 12. I understand there are a lot of problems with windows media 12..

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
        http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/5697-how-downgrade-windows-media-player-12-wmp-11-windows-7-a.html

Lots of work and tricky. Looks like someone reported success following this guide. Use at own risk!

Marjorie

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
          That is interesting but I don't know if I am brave enough to follow it lol... Thanks for the info however.  I wish there was a fix for this.. I am seeing the future that I will have to format this computer, I don't want to do that.  I can't clone it because Casper doesn't make a program to clone a 2TB hard drive..