Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezing after login, HDD Light stays solid  (Read 7389 times)

riggs268

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer freezing after login, HDD Light stays solid
    « on: June 20, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
    Hello,

I appreciate any help or thoughts that could be the problem here. I recently came back to my computer after a few hours and my screen was frozen but my mouse was movable. Any icons i clicked did not open and i could not bring up the start option to restart so I forcibly did so by holding in the power button.  This problem has never happened before today.

Upon restart, it loads everything fine and can log in but it will freeze somewhere between the welcome screen and the desktop. Again, the mouse is movable and the HDD light is solid. 

Safe mode seems to work although I have tried to run anti-malware scan and the same thing happened in safe mode as well. i am able to go on the internet from safe mode. I am now running seatools for dos and performing a long scan to see if the HD is dying. I have also done a memory test in the startup with no errors being recorded.

One time during the startup it ran a chkdsk on its own and a few files were moved and changed. This did not help though as the same problem persisted after the login.

Any help would be appreciated! I custom built my computer, it is windows 7 ultimate and i have not downloaded any new software recently. All the parts are only about 10 months old, except the power supply which i used from my old computer a few years ago.

riggs268

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Computer freezing after login, HDD Light stays solid
      « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
      The scan just completed and it gave me a "seatools test code:E594C856". Afterward it tried to repair it and i tried to start up normally again to see if it worked. It did last a little longer this time "about 2 minutes compared to 10 seconds" before it went back to its same old ways.

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »
      The hard drive is failing. I would suggest you backup up your data as soon as possible. You can use a program like Acronis true image or Norton ghost to save an image of the drive onto an external drive. Then buy a hard drive and push the image back to it as to avoid having to reinstall the OS and all of your applications. Acronis/Ghost may fail depending on how bad the hard drive is. In which case a manual backup would be in order. I believe there are free versions of drive imaging programs, just do a Google search.

Goodluck,

Mike

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 01:45:09 AM »
      Agreed, the HDD is on its way out and you need to back up as soon as possible to avoid any (further) data loss.
      A good free imaging program is Macrium Reflect, you can use this as described above to make an image backup of your hard drive to another drive, which you can then restore to your new drive and simply resume where you left off, assuming it's not too far gone.

kimmyh51

Greenhorn

• 12 Years working full time in 'IT'
        • Free Software Blog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »
      The scan just completed and it gave me a "seatools test code:E594C856". Afterward it tried to repair it and i tried to start up normally again to see if it worked. It did last a little longer this time "about 2 minutes compared to 10 seconds" before it went back to its same old ways.

did it give you a status like passed, failed, aborted with the code?
      PEBKAC tends to cover most PC problems, including my own..... :-)

'If it aint broken... you'll never learn how to fix it yourself - so go ahead and break it'

Ive finally started to put all the links to my huge collection of free software online
      Link removed...under review.

And, yup its actually all legal...