Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Sony Vaio Battery VGP-BPS22 not charging  (Read 9386 times)

ashubhatt

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    New Sony Vaio Battery VGP-BPS22 not charging
    « on: May 18, 2013, 10:21:04 AM »
    Hello All,

I bought a new VGP-BPS22 sony battery 3500 mah/39 wh and it doesnt seem to be charging. I had exactly same battery before I replaced with the new one.

Funny thing is when i put the new battery first time it charged till 100% in 1-2 hours of time and then second day onwards it got stuck to max 30% charging and now its not charging at all(Stuck to 0%). Another thing which i noted if I uninstall and install 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant control method battery' from device manager battery seem to charge for 10 seconds and then stop again. Same thing happens at the time of system booting..it charges only for 10 seconds and then it stop.

I have reset BIOS and taken out battery/booting/rebooting system couple of times and it doesnt seem to solve my problem.

I am using window 7 ultimate.

Any help would be great!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New Sony Vaio Battery VGP-BPS22 not charging
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
    Is the replacement battery a genuine sony part ( that is, original part# and battery that sony used in these laptops ) - or - a generic battery for the sony that matches your model, but is not original?

*Reason why I ask is because I have seen generic battery replacements cause the internal battery monitoring system to show false information. As well as a battery will show as fully charged and as soon as you unplug the power cord, the battery life shows as only 53% and the run time is lesser than that of an original battery that would charge to 100% and last the full duration of 100% battery charge life.

If this battery is genuine for the sony, I'd send it back for replacement as defective and power the laptop off of wall power and older battery until the next battery arrives. Lithium Cells rarely die on brand new batteries, but it could have happened here, and with 1 cell dead or weak, the other cells are compensating and it will not charge to 100%.

ashubhatt

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 01:33:26 AM »
      I was its original though but i am not buying from sony so cant be sure!

Why did it charge first day and then second day stopped completely? is there anything else i can do to make it work like change some settings..

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:59:57 AM »
      Where did you buy this battery from ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ashubhatt

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »
        china!  :-X

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
        I'd return the battery if you can for a refund. I have run into interesting batteries from China before, but not with computer batteries yet.

I found a really good deal on 6volt lantern batteries and bought a bunch from China that were shipped to the USA from Hong Kong. Immediately I knew something was wrong because 6volt lantern batteries normally have some weight to them, and this 6 pack for $10 weighed far less than normal lantern batteries. Well we went camping and I used these batteries. Each one lasted about 30 minutes and then was completely dead. Fortunately I had 6 of these and so I was able to burn through them at 30 minutes each to do some night fishing. The following day I busted one of them open to see why they are so light. Just as I suspected there were 4 AAA batteries inside hot glued to the inside compartment  with solder and wire making them 1.5v x4 in series for the 6 volts. The problem though was that AAA batteries are lacking in mA/h. I never bought any more batteries through this ebay identity ever again and I left neutral feedback since the batteries worked, but left a note that they only lasted 30 min each.

BUT I did save some money buying replacement battery packs for my Uniden phone system at home that has 3 cordless handsets. The replacement batteries for the cordless phones were $22 each at Bestbuy, $18 each at Wal-mart, and Radio Shack didnt have it in stock but could special order them for $15 each. I ended up finding these batteries from a generic no-name brand on Amazon that were 3.6v and the seller had very good feedback, so I took the chance/risk and bought these for $6 each, so for $18 I had 3 batteries to replace all the batteries that no longer held a charge. $18 for 3 batteries was exactly what I was willing to pay, as for 3 batteries at a total cost of $45 to $66 for a phone system setup that cost $70 new was just stupid!  I bought these batteries 2 years ago and they are still working and holding a strong charge when charged. These no-name batteries I could swear last longer than the original Uniden batteries.

Buying generic batteries are hit and miss, sometimes you save a good amount of money and end up with a good deal, and other times you get burned by batteries that are junk. The batteries through the Amazon merchant also came from China and were shipped through Hong Kong.

*The only small very minor issue I had with the cordless phone batteries was that they were just slightly larger/wider in the white plastic shrinkwrap that makes the battery pack than the original batteries, so I had to press firmly with the slide/locking battery cover to get it to close, but once closed the battery cover has not popped open yet on any of the 3 phones so no problem really!!!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 09:46:55 PM »
        Return it then...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "