Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Asus EeePC Suddenly Can't Connect to Certain Networks  (Read 4586 times)

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    Asus EeePC Suddenly Can't Connect to Certain Networks
    « on: July 12, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »
    Since about 2 weeks ago, my Eee PC 900 was unable to connect to certain wifi networks that I used to be able to connect to.

I got the popup message below:

There is no issue with the network itself as I can connect with other devices (PC, phone, another laptop, etc).

I can still connect to other wifi networks, only fails on these few networks (my home, office, few cafe I usually go).

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Asus EeePC Suddenly Can't Connect to Certain Networks
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »
    Recently I also noticed a strange change in my home network. I believe this was due to a MS security update. I have not berm able to resolve the issue.
    I do not have any more information. Google search does not seem to help. Everybody has some kind of network issue. It is hard to know which are related. The Windows error messages are so cryptic, one has to guess as to the meaning.
    This is not a new issue. Still, here is a post from another place just 3 days ago. Does it seem like what happened to you?
    Patch Tuesday July 2013: 7 Updates Correcting 18 Issues
    look! Some 18 things? Who knows what it did.

Note to moderator. Yeah, I know I get to be very sometimes, but the last update from MS is really a can of worm. Please look at the link.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:43:33 AM by Geek-9pm »

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »
      Unfortunately I can't allow Windows Update on my Eee PC 900 thanks to the genius hardware designer from ASUS, who only allocates 3GB out of 10GB of harddisk space for C:. After a few updates my C: will be full.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 12:59:16 AM »
      After a few updates my C: will be full.

You don't have to keep the files after the update has been done.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
      Patch Tuesday July 2013: 7 Updates Correcting 18 Issues
      look! Some 18 things? Who knows what it did.

...but the last update from MS is really a can of worm. Please look at the link.
      I updated 4 computers, 2-WinXP, 1-Win7, & 1-Win8.
      No problems with any of them.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »
      I updated 4 computers, 2-WinXP, 1-Win7, & 1-Win8.
      No problems with any of them.

2 x Win7, 2 x XP here, likewise.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »
      Only a few have problems. The link I gave above has a very long list. But it is still only a few. If ten million did the updates and 500 people had trouble, it is still a few in comparison.

One of the Tuesday July 9 updates is causing Windows 7 Ultimate to hang up on the start-up screen. I waited about 5 minutes and it eventually started then did a system restore to previous session and everything is back to normal. Will wait until I hear a fix is being issued before updating again.

Downloaded the 18 updates on a Vista desktop. The updates installed and got the message to restart. Rebooted the machine and walked away for a few minutes, returned to it in a boot loop. After an hour or two of aggravation the machine is at the local repair shop.

Random Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) after 18 patches from Tuesday, July 9, 2013. Cannot look at the debug file, cannot catch the problem from the BSOD, cannot backup now, getting hardware errors. UNBELIEVABLE. [PT: July 2013]

The update completely destroyed my internet speed and online gaming expirience. I used to get great fps, now it’s choppy and laggy, even Teamspeack is lagging and that doesnt require much badwith. Websites in chrome load so slow that I can read a book while waiting for images to load.
      Oh and my laptop crashed for the first time ever.It’s pretty new,Intel...

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 07:40:30 PM »
        Finally got it works.

This is what I tried and did:

1. Re-install OS with Recovery Disk - still same.
        2. Download tool from Asus which map program installation path from C: to D:.
        3. Download tool from Asus which cleans unnecessary files from C: (e.g. Windows Update files).
        4. Step 2 & 3 allow me to have enough space on C: to run Windows Update.
        5. After running Windows Update a few times, now the wifi is working again.