Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop starting in recovery mode - caused by power surge?  (Read 2480 times)

AndChris

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Laptop starting in recovery mode - caused by power surge?
    « on: October 11, 2013, 03:27:36 AM »
    Hi,

Sorry I'm in the wrong section, not sure what category  this issue fits best under. I may also word myself a bit awkwardly, as my English computer/tech vocabulary isn't exactly top notch. >.>

I'll try to describe the issue as accurate as possible. I'm posting on behalf of my son who's on vacation with a computer that seems to be in a spot of trouble, so some details may be lacking.

My son has an Asus G55VW with Win 7 that shows the Asus Recovery Wizard when he turns it on.
    We think this might be caused by a small power surge. He had set it to charge overnight, unaware that where he's staying they use a main switch that turns off all electricity in the living room when they go to bed, thus it had not been able to charge. In the morning, they flipped the switch on while the laptop was still plugged in, and we suspect this may have caused the problem (mind you, neither of us have that much of a clue when it comes to these things).

The recovery wizard gives him some options, and we hoped he could use Safe Mode to rescue important documents before running the recovery options, but seems to be no go. When he selected Safe mode, he was sent back to square one.  His main concern at this moment, his losing important files, so he hasn't dared touching other options. (We will have a chat about  back-up options later..)

So, here's hoping someone might have advise for us. To sum up the actual questions:

-Is it likely this was related to the laptop being plugged in when the main power switch was turned on, and if so, what would the nature of the damage likely be?
    -Could this be caused by something else?
    -Is it likely that his files can be rescued?

Obviously we don't know if the computer will work again/if the rescue wizard will run at all, since he's waiting while we try to find out if his files are lost.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop starting in recovery mode - caused by power surge?
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:02:41 AM »
    -Is it likely this was related to the laptop being plugged in when the main power switch was
     turned on, and if so, what would the nature of the damage likely be?
    No, not very likely.
    -Could this be caused by something else?
    Yes, a premature hardware failure.

-Is it likely that his files can be rescued?
    Yes, but some risk is involved. The Hard drive can be removed and made a slave to another computer.

Recommendation. Contact then vendor of the computer. There may still be some warranty answer.

AndChris

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Laptop starting in recovery mode - caused by power surge?
      « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
      Thanks, I'll pass it along, and we'll see how it turns out.