Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No wireless connections showing up?  (Read 9008 times)

Moonrash

No wireless connections showing up?
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
I need to connect a range extender for my roommate, but currently my router is plugged straight into my pc so I need to connect to wifi to install the range extender, just for a few minutes.

Wifi connections aren't showing up though. Here's what it looks like to me: http://i.imgur.com/BUW4Nya.png

I messed around with it for hours, downloading drivers etc, trying to get it to work but it just won't allow me to see the wifi around me?
Also, I live in an apartment, there should be 20 different wifi connections showing up. They show up on my laptop. I've never had to use wireless for my pc so I don't know if it's ever worked.

Using Win 8

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: No wireless connections showing up?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »
The best range extender is a set of wires.
Another recourse a high-gain antenna.
What some call a 'range extender' is really an Ad Hoc  network.

Anyway,  using Ad-Hoc networking a real PITA unless you have done it before.

Look at this:
How To Set Up an Ad Hoc (Peer) Wi-Fi Network By Bradley Mitchell
Follow these step-by-step instructions to set up an ad hoc Wi-Fi network. A Wi-Fi network in ad hoc (also known as computer-to-computer or peer) mode allows two or more devices to communicate with each other directly instead of through a central wireless router or access point.

His explanation is about a s good as it gets.

Ad Hoc  Network

Come back here for more help, if need be.

Moonrash

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »
The best range extender is a set of wires.
Another recourse a high-gain antenna.
What some call a 'range extender' is really an Ad Hoc  network.

Anyway,  using Ad-Hoc networking a real PITA unless you have done it before.

Look at this:
His explanation is about a s good as it gets.

Ad Hoc  Network

Come back here for more help, if need be.

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/access-points-range-extenders-and-bridges/dap-1360--wireless-n-open-source-access-point-router
That's the extender. Unfortunately we don't have money to do anything else, we were given this for free. Our router was also free and is crappy. Since we live in an apartment our signal has too much to compete with around us so even just my roommate across the home has issues staying connected.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:10:51 AM »
Here is a real professional way to solve your problem on a budget.
One of the best tutorials on You Tube about this topic.

How to extend your Wi-Fi range with recycled materials.

The method he uses does not reduce the resale worth of your equipment. The modifications require no bonding or soldering. But adult supervision is mandatory. Check with local authorities before showing this to a minor.

There are more videos like this.

Moonrash

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:20:12 AM »
Here is a real professional way to solve your problem on a budget.
One of the best tutorials on You Tube about this topic.

How to extend your Wi-Fi range with recycled materials.

The method he uses does not reduce the resale worth of your equipment. The modifications require no bonding or soldering. But adult supervision is mandatory. Check with local authorities before showing this to a minor.

There are more videos like this.

Haha well we already have the range extender, I just need to connect to a wireless network on my desktop, that's the only issue.... am I missing something to find networks on my pc?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 05:36:23 AM »
Does the desktop have wireless ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Moonrash

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:20:09 AM »
Does the desktop have wireless ? ?

I don't know? How do I find out? It's a custom built pc (not by me) and I haven't had it for that long. I didn't know wireless was an optional feature for newer pcs....
But if it is, that would probably be why I'm not getting any wireless signals. sigh

Oh, here's my mobo.. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/

And here's what listed under network adapters: Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:31:09 AM by Moonrash »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »
The motherboard itself doesn't have wireless  (wifi).  You would need a plug-in card for wifi.  It does have onboard ethernet (wired), the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

Moonrash

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:51 AM »
The motherboard itself doesn't have wireless  (wifi).  You would need a plug-in card for wifi.  It does have onboard ethernet (wired), the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

Oh crap lol. What would you suggest for a dead cheap plug-in card? Or are they not cheap? This sucks. I haven't even opened up my pc yet, let alone plugged stuff into the hardware..

Is there anything else I could do? I literally only need wireless internet for 2 minutes while I install this range extender, I'd hate to buy a card just for that purpose. But my poor roommate is in the living room getting internet that disconnects, and I'm in here with the router having perfect internet..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »

The OP says he has this:
Wireless N Range Extender
DAP-1360

Which claims it can be used as a repeater. It also claims to be useful as a wireless client. The OP will need to study the manual over for awhile to find then details., It is not just automatically a wireless client.
This video is in Portuguese. I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1NapCsDHSc

Moonrash

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
The OP says he has this:
Wireless N Range Extender
DAP-1360

Which claims it can be used as a repeater. It also claims to be useful as a wireless client. The OP will need to study the manual over for awhile to find then details., It is not just automatically a wireless client.
This video is in Portuguese. I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1NapCsDHSc

Hahahah I opened that video then burst out laughing. They're not making this easy on me are they? :P
I don't really get it then. I have to unplug my router, which disconnects my internet. Then I plug in the range extender, which requires internet for the setup. The only manual in the box explains how to set up the range extender, WITH wireless. I suppose I could contact their customer support at this point? It DOES say on the box, "Create or extend a wireless network"... but without wireless in the first place, I'm not sure how...

Edit: I think I've figured it out but I don't have time to try it right now, thanks guys (unless I come back for more help :P)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:49:12 AM by Moonrash »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »
Oh crap lol. What would you suggest for a dead cheap plug-in card? Or are they not cheap? This sucks. I haven't even opened up my pc yet, let alone plugged stuff into the hardware..

Is there anything else I could do? I literally only need wireless internet for 2 minutes while I install this range extender, I'd hate to buy a card just for that purpose. But my poor roommate is in the living room getting internet that disconnects, and I'm in here with the router having perfect internet..
You could get a USB wifi instead of a plug-in card wifi.  Price is about the same for either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704141

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704059

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704129