Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

In the PC you use most often, what storage do you use?

HDD, or multiple HDDs, only
9 (56.3%)
SSD, or multiple SSDs, only
2 (12.5%)
SSD (s) and HDD (s)
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Are you running a HDD, an SSD, or both?  (Read 30443 times)

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Are you running a HDD, an SSD, or both?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 03:37:39 AM »
I was going to say, I would be surprised if SSDs were more expensive there than here, given that PC hardware is generally 1.5-2x the price here.

As far as the warranty goes, I agree that it's not a good way to determine reliability - also, the 840 Pro has a 5 year warranty as it is marketed as a premium product like the WD Black, the Evo and 840 Basic have a 3 year warranty as do most standard SSDs and HDDs, including WD's non premium lines.  There are good and bad SSDs out there just as there are good and bad HDDs.  Put it this way - in the 18 months or so after Intel released their X25-E and X25-M drives, which I think we can agree were some of the first mainstream drives with none of the drawbacks inherent in the earlier, poorly designed Jmicron based drives, we had precisely one go faulty that wasn't caused by e.g. a bad PSU or someone physically damaging the drive.  That was the lowest return rate of any product.  In my experience, "good" SSDs like Samsungs, Plextors, LiteOns, older Intels (not the Sandforce based ones) and Crucials seem to be more or less as reliable as a "good" HDD.  "Bad" SSDs like, again just in my experience, Sandforce based drives (OCZ Vertex/Agility 2/3, most of Corsair's Force line, Intel 330/520, Sandisk, etc) are less reliable, but it's hardly luck of the draw - it's just a case of doing some research before buying a drive to see any potential problems.

My 3 year old desktop can boot to Windows in 40 seconds, and pretty much every program loads in less than a second. Except Firefox, but then I tend to start it after boot and leave it running all day. However, the prices are getting so low now.

That's fair enough, but bear in mind your desktop is not only half the age of the laptop I'm talking about, it also has 2 more CPU cores, a higher clock speed, more memory and a newer chipset, and it's still taking nearly 3 times as long to boot.  40 seconds is a great result from a HDD, but logically programs will also take similarly longer to load as long as they're depending on I/O and not CPU power - if that makes any sense.  Installing programs is similarly fast, or how about Windows updates?  I was updating a laptop with a HDD the other day to prepare it for my uncle, and boy did it take forever.  On a system with an SSD even those ridiculously long .NET updates aren't quite as bad.  I'm somewhat struggling for comparisons to make as the only system I use day to day with a HDD is my work laptop, and I don't use that in the same way as any machines at home, so I can't compare those directly, and a lot of the tasks I really notice the difference in, like installing Windows in 10 minutes or so, aren't exactly everyday tasks.  Also, I wasn't expecting to be discussing SSD vs HDD speed - not that that's a bad thing, I'm happy to discuss anything related to the topic here, I just came ill-prepared :P there are several good SSD vs HDD comparisons I've come across on Youtube which I found interesting though, showing the real difference.  Really, I've found the only way to properly appreciate the difference is to try one for a few weeks, then go back to a HDD in the same system.  I did just that, and never looked back.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 03:40:43 AM »
Decided to look up my 8GB RAM stick that came with that $72 bundle Biostar AM3+ Motherboard and the 8GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport ... Price only increased by $5.00 for that same RAM stick.

Just saw this...I would grab it while you can!  RAM prices here have shot up around 25-50%, some even more than that, since the fire.
It's almost back to how it was before the prices crashed down in late 2010 I think it was.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 03:53:23 AM »
how about Windows updates?

I can feel myself getting convinced... I still have an open "try it and see" offer from a colleague on a hardly used Samsung SSD, at a very good price, so I can feel a bit of "hardware time" coming on.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 03:58:34 AM »
Do it!  It's a good opportunity from what you said, and if I were in your position I would definitely take him up on that offer to try it out.  As I said above, I was somewhat unconvinced of the day-to-day speed increase, despite using them in thousands of systems for installing Windows, updates, and so on, I wasn't sure if that would translate to being worth it for general usage until I actually tried one.  I wasn't completely convinced even then, sure it felt a little smoother...but then I went back to my old HDD for a day or two, and it felt so horribly slow in comparison that the SSD went right back in there.  That was an Intel X25-M G1 drive I tried, too, the Samsung drive in question is much faster as the older Intel drives' write speed wasn't fantastic so I would expect you'll see even more of a difference.

For anyone else not quite convinced, I do have a couple spare SSDs not earmarked for anything right now, and if you're in the UK (and a trusted member) I would be happy to lend you one for a little while, so you can experience an SSD first hand with no costs involved.  I sound like a salesman now but that's not the case, having worked in sales once I would never willingly do that again!

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:51 AM »
I voted SSD only.

The way I work is that all my main machines (Desktop, laptop, HTPC) are SSD only (There is an HDD in the HTPC but only because I haven't got around to removing it):
Desktop - 1x 250gb, 1x 120gb
Laptop - 1x 250gb
HTPC - 1x 60gb

I then have an Atom based home server that contains a pair of 1tb HDDs in RAID 1 - This is where I store larger files or stuff that isn't used that much - It also means that I can access my files from all my computers (and remotely with the help of a VPN).

Overcomplicated, but works really well!

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 07:44:04 AM »
Excellent, that's the way to do it!  SSD all the things! ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 08:07:07 AM »
What i found out is there is a huge disparity in some brands of SSD's speedwise so shop carefully.
You may not get what you think you're payin for.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »
Yes indeed.  Sandforce based SSDs advertise the maximum speed they can reach when dealing with highly compressible data, and fall over when faced with lots of incompressible data.  This is partly why I would always recommend buying a drive not based on a Sandforce controller without even bringing reliability into the equation.
Other than that, I've found that non-SF SSDs almost always reach their claimed performance figures, or within a whisker, when they're used in a system that allows them to, in terms of a decent controller and good drivers.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
I may may make the jump now.  Can get a 15% discount on the Samsung 840EVO 120GB for $100 ($85).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147247
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:56:48 PM by Computer_Commando »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 06:52:07 PM »
I may may make the jump now.  Can get a 15% discount on the Samsung 840EVO 120GB for $100 ($85).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147247
How do you get that discount?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »
How do you get that discount?
Bought it for $84.99 w/free shipping

Am on the Promotion email list.  No cost to sign up.  Promo Codes only work if you're on the list.
Should be a place to sign up on the home page.
[email protected]

This one is an extra one:

We truly appreciate loyal customers like you. Please take a few dollars off your next Newegg purchase on us, using these bonus coupon codes.

**PROMO CODES ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE and may only be redeemed using the Newegg account attached to this e-mail address. Items sold by Newegg Marketplace sellers do not qualify. Not valid on open box and refurbished items.

Their website just went offline.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 03:01:34 AM »
Seems like a great deal for $85, the 840 Evo is a good drive too.
Make sure you install the Samsung Magician software (the latest version, not the one it comes with) as it's required to enable RAPID mode.  At least, the last one I bought came with a version of Magician that didn't support RAPID so I had to grab a newer version that wasn't on the site at the time.  It can also be used to update the firmware if needed, although it will want to start with Windows for some unknown reason - stopping this had no adverse effects so I have no idea what it's supposed to achieve by starting at startup.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
Am on the Promotion email list.  No cost to sign up.  Promo Codes only work if you're on the list.
Should be a place to sign up on the home page.
[email protected]
Thanks CC.  I signed up.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »
Seems like a great deal for $85, the 840 Evo is a good drive too.
Make sure you install the Samsung Magician software (the latest version, not the one it comes with) as it's required to enable RAPID mode.  At least, the last one I bought came with a version of Magician that didn't support RAPID so I had to grab a newer version that wasn't on the site at the time.  It can also be used to update the firmware if needed, although it will want to start with Windows for some unknown reason - stopping this had no adverse effects so I have no idea what it's supposed to achieve by starting at startup.
I plan on creating the SSD from a Macrium image.  Attach the SSD to the desktop, boot the Linux distro, & restore the image to the SSD, without booting it.  The issue is going from a 320GB HDD to a 128GB SSD, hope one of these procedures works.

Or attach the SSD to the desktop, boot to the desktop Windows XP, start Macrium & restore the images to the SSD.  This might be easier because can follow the instruction online.

Images are contained on a USB3.0 1TB, WD My Passport.

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50079.aspx
320GB HDD has 3 partitions:  OS (40GB), HP_RECOVERY:  (15GB), HP_TOOLS (5GB)
May have to perform restore OS partition 1st, don't really know.
I had previously combined the 300MB System partition with the OS partition, since BitLocker is not needed.
Don't want to remove & install drive in laptop, more than once, although it's not too bad to access, the entire back of the laptop comes off, it being the only access panel.

Firmware update installed prior to image restore using DOS boot iso?
Magician software gets installed afterwards?
All found hee:  http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:36:57 AM by Computer_Commando »

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 02:17:31 PM »
Firmware update can be done via the ISO, yes, and SSD Magician is installed after Windows, and your drivers.  Make sure you're running in AHCI mode and install the latest Intel RST drivers for the best performance.  If you're not already in AHCI mode, there's an easy trick to change it, and change your drivers, otherwise Windows will blue screen on boot as the wrong storage driver will be loaded.
Shouldn't be a problem to create an image of the HDD and restore it to the smaller SSD.  I would probably do it from Windows via Reflect, rather than booting from the rescue CD.  When I move from disk to disk, I usually image the whole disk and restore it as one, rather than as partitions.