Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

In the PC you use most often, what storage do you use?

HDD, or multiple HDDs, only
9 (56.3%)
SSD, or multiple SSDs, only
2 (12.5%)
SSD (s) and HDD (s)
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Are you running a HDD, an SSD, or both?  (Read 30442 times)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Are you running a HDD, an SSD, or both?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.  On the laptop now.  It's my newest computer so deserves an SSD.
1.  I tried the firmware ISO, since website not clear if it was bootable.  It booted on the desktop computer, ran the program & kicked out to the A-prompt with a DOS memory error I can't remember, probably since no drive attached.
1.  Laptop Device Manager says:  Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
2.  HWInfo would hang if not using latest Intel RST, am at 12.8.0.1016
3.  Previous version of Reflect could not shrink drive, so when you Google for instructions, it mostly results in, "not possible".  Since it's a new feature, it's somewhat hidden instead of being automatic like Ghost DOS was for many years.
4.  My desktop strategy has always been somewhat different:  4 partitions, OS, Data, Dnlds, Swap.  Only need to image the OS.  This is a leftover from Ghost DOS with image files limited to 2GB.  Still works out because OS partition is smaller & Reflect files are about 10GB (for WinXP).  Don't keep any data on the laptop, so HDD doesn't use much even on Win7-64.
5.  Because the laptop has 3 partitions, 2 of which never change, I only image the OS.  Could probably get rid of Recovery partition, but unclear what it will break.  Tools partition is used from time to time & needs to be at the end of the drive.  Not sure what will happen if it moves to the middle.  Tools & Recovery are accessed by BIOS calls, F11 & F12.  For this, I'll image the entire drive, too.  Have lots of room on the USB drive.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 05:35:34 AM »
1.  I tried the firmware ISO, since website not clear if it was bootable.  It booted on the desktop computer, ran the program & kicked out to the A-prompt with a DOS memory error I can't remember, probably since no drive attached.

SSD firmware update ISOs are always bootable, as you've seen - the error will more than likely be due to not having the drive attached.  If you do have problems, experiment with changing the controller from IDE to AHCI or vice versa in this case.  I haven't used the ISO to update a Samsung SSD before but some tools require the controller to be in one mode or the other.

1.  Laptop Device Manager says:  Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
2.  HWInfo would hang if not using latest Intel RST, am at 12.8.0.1016

Cool, you're all set there then.

I understand what you mean now with the multiple partitions, I'm unsure as I've only ever (well, in the last 5-6 years or so) used a single partition, plus that 100MB partition Windows 7 makes, so I'm not sure if you'll need the recovery partition but as you say, probably better safe than sorry.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 09:56:42 AM »
Since the manufacturer (HP) did the install of Win7, they did it their way.

Regarding the Win7 System Partition, the boot loader can be moved to the OS Partition & then SP deleted & merged with OS.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/146694-partition-extended-logical-drives.html

The problem with the System Partition & the HP partitions is that Win7 only allows 4 partitions when MBR formatting is used.
Win8 uses GPT as the default, Win7 does not.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725671.aspx
MiniTool can perform the conversion:  http://www.partitionwizard.com/faqvideo/convert-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk.html

If Reflect is used to restore the entire drive, GPT could be lost.  If used to restore partitions, I think GPT would remain intact.

Might be interesting to see if SSD can be created as GPT, then use Reflect to restore partitions.
Since WinXP-32 does not support GPT, WinXP-32 cannot be used to create the GPT & Reflect cannot be used within WinXP-32.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx
Will have to use Partition Wizard boot CD & then Reflect boot CD.
Have a spare drive to test now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:17:55 AM by Computer_Commando »

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
I must confess I've never really messed around with GPT as I've never needed to, either for more partitions or for >2TB disks.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know the boot loader could be moved and the system partition subsequently deleted, if I find myself hungry for that last 100MB of space I'll give it a shot :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »
I had saved a how-to link to perform from the command prompt & can't find it right now.
I modified the previous post to add this:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

I got into this when working on someones Win8 machine & the partitions did not say MBR.

BTW, my ProBook's System Reserved space was 200 or 300MB, instead of the default 100MB.

Interesting Results
Partition Wizard boot disc was able to convert spare drive with single MBR partition to GPT partition.  Only took a few seconds.
Since it was a copy of the Images partition, did care if all was lost.
Booted back to WinXP-32 & it recognizes the partition, but all the options are "ghosted out" for both Computer Management & Partition Wizard.  Unable to assign drive letter or copy partitions or anything else.

Now have to perform a Reflect test from the Reflect boot disk.  I have the WinPE & the Linux versions.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:50:23 AM by Computer_Commando »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
I must confess I've never really messed around with GPT as I've never needed to, ...
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/aomei_partition_assistant.html
Please note that you will able to convert your MBR disk to GPT only if your PC (motherboard to be precise) supports UEFI.
http://www.intowindows.com/convert-mbr-to-gpt-disk-without-data-loss/

Laptop does support UEFI, desktop does not.

Converted disk to GPT, then reimaged Win7 partition, drive now indicated MBR.
Changed boot order in desktop, it's not bootable, it boots the WinXP drive.
Rebuild the MBR, still won't begin to boot.
Delete partition & reimage drive from within WinXP.

It completed as am typing this, Windows Explorer window appeared showing the Win7-64.  Maybe it's now bootable?
UPDATE:  Windows splash screen started, then BSOD.  Not surprising, desktop SATA controller is not AHCI.
Calum said:  If you're not already in AHCI mode, there's an easy trick to change it, and change your drivers, otherwise Windows will blue screen on boot as the wrong storage driver will be loaded.

Reflect did downward resize the image of the OS partition & knows what the size of the 2 other partitions would be, if they were there.  Next time I take an image of the laptop, I'll do the entire drive.

Lessons Learned:
1.  Don't attempt a GPT conversion on a boot drive, even if not booted from that drive.
2.  Aomei Partition Assistant 5.2 helps you convert only data or non-system disks to GPT without data loss. In other words, you can’t use this tool to convert system disks (disks on which Windows installed) to GPT without losing data.  AFAIK, this is the only partition manager able to do this.
3.  This would require doing a clean install of Win7.  Not worth it on a laptop with 1 drive with 3 partitions.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:58:07 PM by Computer_Commando »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 03:46:35 PM »
Although i only used it maybe a 1/2 dozen times Aeomi is the only 1 i found suitable...
There isn't a current system disk converter that i know of that does it properly which is why i cringe when i see Forum Posts asking how to do so...

If anyone has found a suitable one by all means let us know...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
No need to cringe!

The disk I was experimenting on was a new spare WD 250GB SATA, connected as a "slave".  I was attempting to simulate the OS transfer to the forthcoming SSD.  It's a lot easier to install using the desktop which has 4 SATA ports than the notebook which is mounted in a caddy & has 1 SATA port (actually a 2nd one for the optical drive).

Eventually someone will figure out how to convert a system disk to GPT without loss of data.  Maybe Aomei is on track to be first?  Today was the first I ever heard of them.  Partition Magic did it for partition resizing before Microsoft & many others.

A competitor to Acronis & Macrium, too.
http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/300177-new-aomei-backupper-great-free-imaging-program.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:36:05 PM by Computer_Commando »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 06:27:44 PM »
Partition Magic says they can do it on a system disk...don't waste your time...failed miserably on this end.
Just a heads up.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 09:09:41 PM »
Partition Magic says they can do it on a system disk...don't waste your time...failed miserably on this end.
Just a heads up.
Do you mean Partition Master or Partition Wizard?  Partition Magic was PowerQuest which was sold to Symantec (Norton).  Version 8.0 was the last one.

As of December 8, 2009, the Symantec website stated that they no longer offer Partition Magic.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »
Sorry ...Master.
I never re-visited it afterwards.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 06:46:43 AM »
Think it's time to uninstall my EaseUS Partition Master.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
Imaged the HDD late last night after Windows decided to resize icons & fonts.  Struggled changing back everything because last image was 2 weeks old.

SSD drive must have arrived last evening, opened front door this AM & it was there.  Restored image with desktop as planned.  When it automatically mounted the last partition (HP_TOOLS), file structure was mangled.  Installed SDD in laptop & it booted into Windows.  Icons were now moved around a bit because probably didn't do enough restarts last night.  Noticed that the Tools partition was about was just a little bit smaller than the original explaining why the file structure was bad.  Used AEOMEI Partition Assistant to resize partitions, so could restore the Tools partition from within Windows.

The original Reflect restore using the desktop was from USB3.0 to SATA-II, but it took about 30 minutes.  The laptop has SATA-III support.  Partition resizing & image restoring is very fast.

Had a big scare when updating firmware.  Samsung Magician Windows software said update was available.  Performed update which said "failed".  Upon reboot, SSD not recognized by BIOS.  Put in firmware update CD, scanned for Samsung SSD, no drive found.  Rebooted, looked away, BIOS started doing something.  Put CD back in, restarted, now it recognized SSD & said it was already updated.  Rebooted again, & Windows started up.

Image creation times are cut in half.  Windows Experience for the HDD was 5.9, for the SDD is 7.9.

Samsung Magician has some bugs, S/N is not shown in addition to the firmware updating returning bogus error, instead of instructing to power-down & power-up.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »
Samsung Performance Optimization modifies the Paging File parameters.
Benchmarks indicate about 5x faster.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 09:41:17 AM »
Interesting, what version of Samsung Magician is that you're running?  I can't recall having similar issues with the last Evo I installed, the serial number was shown and everything seemed to go smoothly.

Other than that, what are your first impressions of the drive?  Other than benchmarks, how does the system feel in normal usage, and how's the boot time?