Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Boot: XP and W98  (Read 9221 times)

Mac

Dual Boot: XP and W98
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 10:54:07 AM »
What is the name of the Graphics Tablet? Maybe there is a substitute...

Nagle

Re: Dual Boot: XP and W98
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 12:00:43 PM »
Sorry, I didn't see this question.

It is a Media Forte e-pen *serial* tablet and I can't get it to work in XP. They have drivers for their usb tablets and one for XP.  At one point I thought if I could convert to USB I could find a way around the problem but it didn't work.  I even tried a W2000 driver. lol.  Should a converstion to USB have worked?  I don't know and perhaps I didn't do it right.

This tablet is not fancy but it writes very smoothly and I had a larger Aiptek tablet but it wasn't near as smooth.

Well, in case anyone is interested in an update:  ;)  What I discovered was our W98 disk is damaged, I guess enough to not read properly.  I made a copy at 10x speed and a test intall and when I installed the driver my my network card it grabbed the needed files of the W98 disk without a hitch.  Good news!  It was a bad disk!  I will test it more especially as I had terrible problems getting the sound card installed.

I am going to take my time with this setup but I think the most crucial problem is solved.  

But if anyone has any ideas on how to get this graphics tablet to work...I won't have to deal with W98 at all.  ::)

Nagle

Re: Dual Boot: XP and W98
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 12:25:05 PM »
ps...I didn't know XP doesn't format large drives to FAT32.  I thought I had done that before!

Format Queen   :)

Mac

Dual Boot: XP and W98
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 02:39:12 PM »
I find that gentle washing of the CD in luke warm water with two drops of mild soap solution and a soft sponge often works wonders on CDs which produce read errors. Copying to good quality CDRs is only sensible to safeguard the original, and it seems that data on CDs is prone to fading over time anyway.

XP won't format drives larger than 32 GB, at least not within Windows, but it will mount FAT32 drives larger than 32 GB if formatted by another operating system and can read & write to them.

Can't help on the Tablet, sorry.

I haven't tried it but it may be possible to format drives larger than 32 GB using the format command from the Recovery Console.