Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to install windows 8 on wiped machine  (Read 8899 times)

gotsaed

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: unable to install windows 8 on wiped machine
    « Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 03:00:40 AM »
    I used Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN). I am a little unclear about GPT and UEFI, but it's not called MBR anymore is it? I just need a partition table I think.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
    "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

How are you selecting the destination? You should be selecting Unallocated Space as the target, so Windows can create the System Reserved Partition. At the page selecting a destination, use "Drive Options (Advanced)" to delete all partitions (if any), then choose Unallocated Space as the target.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »
    MBR has not dissappeared as a drive designation...it's still there.
    It depends on what exactly you want...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »
    MBR has not dissappeared as a drive designation...it's still there.
    It depends on what exactly you want...
    GPT and MBR are different partitioning schemes. They are mutually exclusive on a single disk, except that a GPT partition table has a stub MBR at the front, sort of like how older Windows applications had a stub DOS executable. This allows a standard BIOS to boot from a GPT-partitioned drive. if a system doesn't support "old" BIOS implementations, and uses UEFI (without a legacy option) than it requires disks to be partitioned as GPT.

GPT is more fault tolerant because there are two copies of the GPT; one at the start, and one at the end. with MBR, there is only ever one copy.

gotsaed

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 02:53:52 PM »
      (You should be selecting Unallocated Space as the target) I am doing that and I get the message-Windows can't be installed on this drive (show details - and when I see details windows setup says windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu. ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 08:37:45 AM »
      Ensure AHCI is enabled in the BIOS setup. Also keep UEFI enabled, you should have only disabled Secure Boot if it was enabled.

gotsaed

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 03:11:46 AM »
        I went into bios, made sure the setting were as you described, and guess what  :-[ same message -Windows can't be installed on this drive (show details - and when I see details windows setup says - windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu. ???
        is it the disk shall I try another disk?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »
        Please allow one more suggestion. At this point, the OP needs to use whatever resources are available to him. Instead of spending any more time on this. He ought to contact the manufacturer of his personal computer and provide them with a simplified explanation of what happened.
        Although it is possible that the OP may have inflicted some harm to his computer, that is not known for sure. In fact, what the OP did was not really an unusual thing. Quite often on forums like this uses are told to wipe their hard drive and reinstall Windows from a legal DVD disc. And that is what the OP attempted to do and it failed.
        One would think that the OEM would like to cultivate good faith with its customers. There is no way to know for sure if this mishap was the fault of the OP, or if there is in fact some rare defect in the computer.  The OP himself said he was not satisfied with the computer and this would imply something was not to his liking.
        On that basis, in my opinion, the user should contact the OEM and provide a simplified story about how he had been told to reinstall Windows 8 again.
        Although I personally doubt there's anything wrong with the hardware, there is no basis for making that assumption without first contacting the OEM. There is the rare possibility that he bought one of those computers that just turned out to be a lemon. It happens.
        So, the best advice I can give to the OP at this point, is to contact the OEM and make a claim on their warranty provisions. Hopefully, they'll give you a and RMA ticket and you can return it to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. Of course, do not include any personal data on the hard drive. But at this point, there should not be any data left on the hard drive.

That's the best I can offer. :)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »
        Since he chose to use a 3rd party tool to nuke the HDD the OEM...whoever they are will not offer any assistance...period.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 07:50:25 PM »
        Since he chose to use a 3rd party tool to nuke the HDD the OEM...whoever they are will not offer any assistance...period.
        Patio, I respectfully disagree. Some computer companies have very helpful people that show compassion for users that make common mistakes. And the likelihood of a esoteric hardware failure can not be ignored. He can ask.