Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: You can buy new PC with Windows 7, not 8  (Read 3735 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
You can buy new PC with Windows 7, not 8
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »
Want  to  buy new PC with Windows 7, not 8

From time to time this comes up. Here are some articles about how to get a New PC with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.

Three ways to get a new Windows 7 PC. - PC World

You can find a PC running Windows 7 - ZD Net

How to get a new PC without Windows 8  - BGR

It seems HP caters to those who want 7 and not 8.
Back by Demand; Windows 7
Why are we selling Windows 7 PCs in a Windows 8 world? The answer is simple: choice. We like giving you the option to get the computer that’s exactly right for you.
If you want to make the most of a touchscreen and Windows 8.1, we have a complete line of computers, from desktops and all-in-ones to laptops and tablets.
If you still want to run Windows 7 on your computer, we can help with that, too. And you can instantly save ...

Stop listening to people tell you Windows 8 is what you want. The choice is still yours.
BTW: Windows 8 trial is still available.  Try before you buy.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: You can buy new PC with Windows 7, not 8
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:43:56 AM »
It's just like when Vista came out and you could still buy computers running XP - This will however stop once MS stop selling licences for Windows 7.  This date is currently set at October 31, 2014 for all versions other than Windows 7 Professional for which a date is not yet decided (Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle).

My big issue with this is thinking down the line - People will obviously jump into getting Windows 7 machines after their friends have claimed that Windows 8 is "bad" in some way - Down the line they will have to upgrade to something newer which will be even more difficult than moving onto 8.1 now as it will be even more different - Then we have another exact case of the issues that currently surround people still using XP, but this time it will be Windows 7.  I can already imagine the screams of "How dare Microsoft drop support for Windows 7, I gave them $99 for it 10 years ago, they should give me support for it for as long as I want".

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
We like giving you the option to get the computer that’s exactly right for you.
As long as you want either Windows 7 or Windows 8 Standard, apparently. IF a company is going to go on about how they offer consumers a choice they really should actually give a real choice. What if I want Fedora Core?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
Why would MS wanna offer Fedora Core as an option ? ?
Makes no sense.
If people wanna run a Linux distro they are there for the taking...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:16:05 PM »
Makes no sense.
If people wanna run a Linux distro they are there for the taking...
Right. This thread is about choices for Microsoft OS.
There are some major makers that do offer Linux to special customers. But that is another topic. (in 2012 HP invested ted money in Barcelona for Linux)

Right now the  choice for a Microsoft Intel Desktop  is Windows 7 or 8.    ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
Microsoft doesn't manufacture PCs. HP is the one offering this, and Dell has offerings that include Linux.

Makes no sense.
I agree, it would make no sense for Microsoft to offer Fedora Core as an option. Microsoft, however, is not involved here. HP is the one offering the choice between Win8 and Win7. My point is HP saying "it's about giving a choice" is a lie, because it's still a case of "you can choose anything you want as long as it's one of these two specific options made by one software vendor" and I don't think I would call that a choice.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »
BC, I don't get want you are ranting about.
HP has long been a contributor to Linux and open source software.
HP said they offer a choice. A choice can be from a set of two or more possibilities. Nothing in HP's advertising says you must only use Microsoft on a HP. Many major makers offer Linux, but not always on the same models.
Here is a bit of information:
HP will now have a seat on the Linux Foundation's board of directors and will be directly involved in advancing Linux-based initiatives, workgroups, events, and other efforts.
'A strategic asset'
HP offers Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and SUSE Enterprise Linux on servers and desktops as well as certifying Ubuntu Linux for use on desktops and in cloud computing.
By  Katherine Noyes  in PC World  -Nov 6, 2012

Myself, I have XP, Windows 7 and 8 on my computers. And I hare a large collection of Linux CDs I can install when I want to.
When I am ready to buy a new computer I might chose Dell. Or HP. Or maybe something else.
If I do it this year I can have a choice of Windows 7 or 8 if I want.
IMHO Microsoft with do a sp-2 of Windows 7 professional next year which will extend support for Windows 7 Professional.
But by then I might want to go with Windows 8. If I buy a touch screen desktop.
I have a choice.   ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 11:56:24 PM »
BC, I don't get want you are ranting about.
Let me be more clear. HP's quote is:

"Why are we selling Windows 7 PCs in a Windows 8 world? The answer is simple: choice. We like giving you the option to get the computer that’s exactly right for you."

This is NOT what they are doing. Because they are only offering TWO options. Sure, two options are a choice, but it's not going to facilitate much in getting somebody the "computer that is exactly right for them". What grinds my gears here is the fact that they are saying that the reason they are providing Windows 7 is to make it possible for people to get the computer that is exactly right for you. Call it wordplay pedantry, but Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 are not going to be the only two OS's required for every single possible customer to get the "computer exactly right for them" so it's disingenous. The reason they are offering Windows 7 is because that way people who are scared of Windows 8 will buy from them instead. They aren't providing it because they approve of providing choices, they are doing it because they like people to give them money and that was the way they decided to try to do it. If it was about "choice" they would be offering more than a OS provided from one Vendor.

HP has long been a contributor to Linux and open source software.
What does this have to do with anything? Microsoft has been long been a contributor to Linux and Open Source software too.
HP said they offer a choice. A choice can be from a set of two or more possibilities. Nothing in HP's advertising says you must only use Microsoft on a HP. Many major makers offer Linux, but not always on the same models.
They offer a choice between Windows 7 and Windows 8. They claim that this decision to provide the choice was motivated because they want to provide the choice to allow people to get the PC exactly right for them. But that isn't the reason. If it was, they would have provided a Linux distribution as one of the choices. The reason is really "We want to get people who are still afraid of Windows 8 to buy from us instead of the competition, and we don't want to sacrifice the ability to load the system down with useless crapware to subsidize it".

Here is a bit of information:By  Katherine Noyes  in PC World  -Nov 6, 2012
None of which is particular relevant.