Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Understanding MemTest86  (Read 10860 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Understanding MemTest86
    « on: October 15, 2014, 04:45:06 PM »
    Downloaded v5.1.0 but when I booted-up on the disc, it said v4.3.7. The MemTest website says older versions are automatically booted on systems that do not support UEFI (whatever that is, lol). Is that what happened to me?

Also, after two iterations I got a message saying system passed with no errors but testing was continuing on the third iteration. Does MemTest86 just keep running iteration after iteration until you stop it? Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Understanding MemTest86
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
    One word answer: Yes.
    The possibility of a memory error coming after several iterations is very low.
    Some say that five is good enough. You decide.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 07:57:09 PM »
    MemTest runs 12 to 14 seperate tests...however each iteration is one full cycle of said tests...

And yes...it'll run til the User shuts it down.

In most cases 1 hour straight is sufficient.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 01:41:41 AM »
      The older version does not boot-up to a configurable screen. It automatically starts running. It identified two CPU's which I assume reflects my dual quad processor. It wasn't clear to me that it was checking both CPU's because it indicated it was checking just one. I thought eventually it would start testing the second CPU but it did not even after a couple hours. So, with v4.3.7 and a dual quad processor, can I assume everything is ok if I have no errors after two hours of testing?

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 03:15:50 AM »
        The older version does not boot-up to a configurable screen. It automatically starts running. It identified two CPU's which I assume reflects my dual quad processor. It wasn't clear to me that it was checking both CPU's because it indicated it was checking just one. I thought eventually it would start testing the second CPU but it did not even after a couple hours. So, with v4.3.7 and a dual quad processor, can I assume everything is ok if I have no errors after two hours of testing?

Update: I found the configuration screen. I have to type "c" after the test starts and I can select various options. One is to test both CPU's in Round Robin mode. Don't understand what some of the options mean, eg should I enable or disable single pass?