Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Printer Drops  (Read 3527 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Wireless Printer Drops
« on: October 16, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »
My Google skills aren't helping me much here, so I figured I'd throw myself in with you lot and see what you come up with!

I have a Brother MFC-J430W, connected wirelessly. Lately, it "disappears" from the home network. (In other words, power remains on, the little wireless indicator shows no bars, I can't print to it, or ping its IP; it still will make copies, and I can manually start the scanner - although without connectivity, the scan goes nowhere). The network remains "stable"; my PCs, iPads, phones, etc., that access the same wireless point do not have trouble connecting. I have one other device that remains "on" - the Blu-Ray player, and it hasn't dropped its wireless in over 13 months.

The printer is located one room over from the router, and has not moved since it was installed. Other devices are in that room and on other floors, and still access the router. It is a static IP, and nothing else in the network is ever assigned an IP anywhere near it. (It's .10, my router assigns starting at .65).

This first started happening about seven or eight months ago; the printer has been installed for nearly two (maybe three?) years (and the router for longer than that). It appears to be completely random, there is no pattern that I can determine.  There doesn't seem to be any specific external condition (eg after vacuuming the room, when the guitar amplifier is on).

As far as I know, it does not self-correct. I have never noticed that it had lost its signal, and then later noticed that it had regained it. (For all I know that's happening, I've just never observed it).

If I power the printer off and on, it corrects; I can also go through the setup menu (without turning it off) and it will re-initialize it.

The Brother site's help is of no use to me, and most of the troubleshooting I've found seems to focus on router changes, DHCP issues, or other things I'm not experiencing.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Wireless Printer Drops
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »
In device manager/devices...check and see if allow Windows to turn this off to save power is unchecked for all wireless devices...
For some stupid reason that is the MS default setting.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 02:05:13 AM »
I'm away from my home network now... I presume the "device" to check in Device Manager would be the printer?

Even if that were the case, I'd say 70-80 percent of the traffic on the home network is my family's iPads and iPhones (not just printer traffic but overall wireless traffic).

The printer will "disconnect" when my Windows laptop is away, or when it's in range.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:17:22 AM »
OK, so I'm home today. The wireless printer doesn't show on Device Manager (and it is confirmed online), from what I can see? The wireless card itself, is not set to "turn off".

But again, it's the printer that's losing connectivity to the network, not any other computing device.

Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:25:35 AM »
Does this printer connect via USB ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert

blueriverbeat

Starter
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
    My Google skills aren't helping me much here, so I figured I'd throw myself in with you lot and see what you come up with!

I have a Brother MFC-J430W, connected wirelessly. Lately, it "disappears" from the home network. (In other words, power remains on, the little wireless indicator shows no bars, I can't print to it, or ping its IP; it still will make copies, and I can manually start the scanner - although without connectivity, the scan goes nowhere). The network remains "stable"; my PCs, iPads, phones, etc., that access the same wireless point do not have trouble connecting. I have one other device that remains "on" - the Blu-Ray player, and it hasn't dropped its wireless in over 13 months.

The printer is located one room over from the router, and has not moved since it was installed. I have been trying to find solutions online but nothing has helped. Other devices are in that room and on other floors, and still access the router. It is a static IP, and nothing else in the network is ever assigned an IP anywhere near it. (It's .10, my router assigns starting at .65).

This first started happening about seven or eight months ago; the printer has been installed for nearly two (maybe three?) years (and the router for longer than that). It appears to be completely random, there is no pattern that I can determine.  There doesn't seem to be any specific external condition (eg after vacuuming the room, when the guitar amplifier is on).

As far as I know, it does not self-correct. I have never noticed that it had lost its signal, and then later noticed that it had regained it. (For all I know that's happening, I've just never observed it).

If I power the printer off and on, it corrects; I can also go through the setup menu (without turning it off) and it will re-initialize it.

The Brother site's help is of no use to me, and most of the troubleshooting I've found seems to focus on router changes, DHCP issues, or other things I'm not experiencing.

Have you tried reinstalling drivers? other than that, I don't have any other suggestions. maybe just leave it alone because it doesn't sound like too much of a nuisance to restart.