Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is MS Office 2007 still any good?  (Read 9653 times)

Sforster123

Topic Starter

• Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Is MS Office 2007 still any good?
« on: December 09, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
Hi,

I currently don't have an office suite installed on my PC and I wanted to try MS Office. I oppose MS Office 2013 or 365, because they are no longer in the form of a CD-ROM and I will not have a secure Internet connection for about a month (I'm using PAYG data and need a copy of MS Office ASAP). I understand that the 2010 version is almost exactly the same as the 2013 version, but I cannot find any copies of MS Office 2010 that I could obtain over the next few days. However, I have found a copy of MS Office Professional 2007 in a shop (I believe it's secondhand) for £15. This seems like a good price IMO but I have little experience with MS Office (MS Word only). So, is it any good? I am interested in trying MS Publisher, by the way. Thanks! :)

Salmon Trout

Re: Is MS Office 2007 still any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »
A legal copy of MS Office 2007 for £15? Go for it. The 2007 and later versions are not all that different and if you get a later version it will still read your documents created in Office 2007. H e ll , I still use Office 2003 at work.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
I agree. Good deal. Yes, MS support for the 2007 product has ended. But it silvery good. In fact, I still use a much older MS Office version.

For general use, a free Office suite is alright. Perhaps a friend can download one for you onto a USB drive.
Of curse, The MS Office suite is very desirable for many users.
For what it is worth, here is an article that explains the advantage.
http://www.idealware.org/articles/comparing-microsoft-office-open-source-alternatives
Commercially licensed software has its advantages, too—it comes with all the benefits of the company behind the code. Microsoft relies on the sales of Office and other software applications to remain profitable, giving it a strong incentive to offer the features, support, and interface that will make its software attractive to users and competitive in the market. Microsoft has built a vast pool of talented developers, a mature platform, and polished user interfaces, and the success of Office has provided it with a large user- and support base.
But the choice is always yours.  :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
MS support for the 2007 product has ended.
Hmm, I have MS Office 2007 installed on a desktop system (Win 7) and my laptop (Win 8.1) and I still get updates for Office along with Windows Updates almost every time Windows Updates occurs. 

In addition to minor updates, Microsoft releases special/major updates, i.e. "service packs", for MS office, just as they do for Windows.  I suspect that edition of Office you found is an original release of Office 2007; in other words, it will not have any of the Service Pack (SP) updates.  If you get the Office disc and install it, the Service Pack update(s) might appear in Windows Updates.  If not, you can download any of the Service Packs, i.e. 1, 2, or 3, from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27838.  The logical thing to do is go directly to SP3. 

By the way, the Publisher component works fine.