Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not boot  (Read 3784 times)

Guido

Computer will not boot
« on: November 08, 2005, 12:05:03 PM »
Computer will not boot. It is a T2682 e Machine with XP home. Computer was working fine the last time used. No new hardware or software has been added for some time. When I turn it on, I only get a loud rapid ticking sound and the power light and hard drive read write light blinks in sync with the ticking sound. I have to turn off the power supply to shut it off. I noticed that the CPU fan was not working, and tested it on another computer and it worked fine. I tried a different power supply, replaced the keyboard and mouse, disconnected all drives, stripped the motherboard, same result. I only have one memory chip of this type (pc2100) and no other computer in which to check it. I have heard this ticking sound in the past, some years ago, but cannot remember the cause.
Guido  

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer will not boot
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 12:28:38 PM »
Did you test the CPU or the FAN to another computer? The best thing for you to do is probally to get another fan since the fan might be cracked.. You can try cleaning the dust off of the Fan to see if ti helps

Guido

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 03:25:41 PM »
I tested the fan in another computer and it worked. I then checked the fan from the other computer in the first computer and it did not work. This led me to suspect the power supply. The fan still did not work.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 04:55:14 PM »
...When I turn it on, I only get a loud rapid ticking sound and the power light and hard drive read write light blinks in sync with the ticking sound. ...I noticed that the CPU fan was not working ... I have heard this ticking sound in the past ...

Guido:

Sounds like a mechanical failure of the hard drive.  Open up the case, put your ear close to the hard drive, and power on the PC.  If the sound is coming from the hard drive, it is shot.  Replacing it will likely fix the problem.  You will then have to install Windows XP to the new hard drive.

If the sound is not coming from the hard drive, the CPU or motherboard is likely fried.  The fan not working may be the cause of the CPU  overheating or just a symptom of some other failure of the system.  

Let us know whether or not the hard drive is making the noise.

Doc  

Guido

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 05:55:33 PM »
Doc,
I tried booting without the hard drive connected, same problem. Just to be sure, after reading your suggestion, I tried another hard drive, same problem. The fan works fine in another computer. Before I posted my question, I thought that I had narrowed the problem down to memory, Motherboard, or CPU. I hope to narrow the choices  before I sink money into replacing good components.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 06:19:54 PM »
The pc needs the hard drive to boot........run diagnostic on it.? check the ide cables are not loose from the mobo to the h/d........or nick one from the crdom/dvd drive....<master>

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=3;action=display;num=1122425778
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 06:21:54 PM by merlin_2 »

Guido

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 07:14:43 AM »
Merlin,
I am sorry that I was not clearer about the fact that the problem occurs as soon as the power is turned on. A hard drive being present is not a factor at this point. The computer does not even get a chance to look for the hard drive.

Guido

Guido

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 07:02:17 AM »
Thanks to all who offered help. I finally bit the bullet and decided the most likely  componet was the mother board, and replaced it. that solved the problem.
Guido