Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: heats sink pressure  (Read 3211 times)

methgaming

heats sink pressure
« on: November 11, 2005, 10:31:36 AM »
need alittle help  here I am working on a friends pc he has a amd 800 mhz cpu I am not sure of the mobo runs windows xp pro, 128 mb of ram ati 7000 vpu
he was using it when it started to beep so he took the cpu and heat sink out and cleaned the heatsink now in order for it to keep running you have to apply pressure to the heatsink down on cpu or else it will shut off a few seconds after you turn it on, I tried bending the latch a little so it would draw it tighter but that wont work , any ideas or suggestions

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    Re: heats sink pressure
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:06:07 PM »
    You have to apply thermal paste between the heatsink and the processor to prevent the processor from overheating. If the processor is overheating the sensor may be detecting this and shutting it down.

Do a Google search for the proper way to apply the paste, and don't power up the PC again until you've done so.
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.