Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking Oddities  (Read 2870 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Networking Oddities
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
I've just re-installed Windows on a new hard drive, installation went on fine without a hitch. Activated, no problems...

I didn't notice any problems until I installed LAN drivers. Again the installation went on fine and dandy, but no automatic driver updates occured. I tried manually updating (via device manager) but it just gets stuck endlessly searching. Windows update also does the same thing.

I also can't join a homegroup, after a long wait I receive a simple message stating  "Can't join Homegroup" (Although this may be due to the same name being re-used).

So i'm kind of stumped. Without an error message to go on... well where do you start? Oh and FIY: I have internet access as evidenced by this forum post (from the offending PC).

[Profile PC]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Networking Oddities
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »
When you installed Windows again, did it  include all drivers? The drivers should be on another CD from the computer manufacture.

How do you get Internet? Some kind of thing must be working.
Do you have another PC or laptop on a LAN?

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Networking Oddities
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »
Never mind, I download a copy of Windows from Microsoft foolishly thinking that it would be a more up to date version than my launch date disc. As it turned out Windows did not feel it necessary to tell me that it needed to shutdown to install updates which would allow Windows to receive more updates (I believe they had some sort of security problem with the original system).