Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keep getting BSOD  (Read 27919 times)

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Keep getting BSOD
    « Reply #75 on: July 29, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »
    It's a Dell XPS 8300, Window 7.1, 64 bit, i7 processor.

AMD High Definition Audio Device
    Intel(R) Display Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

these are listed in device manager under sounds, I checked properties says they are all working fine, and did the update driver and it says drivers are up to date.  do I need to look somewhere else?

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
      sorry to jump in again, could this (sound and sleeping)  have anything to do with the power option we disabled back in msconfig?  I noticed when I was in the control panel and clicked on power nothing happens.  grasping at straws I suppose.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #77 on: July 29, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »
      Not sure which one we're talking about, but go ahead and re-enable it and reboot.

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
        when we were working thru msconfig and checking things one at a time, when I got to power it seemed that was when the bsod appeared.  since then everything has been checked but power.  I just checked it and restarted, and my audio is back and I can access power settings from the control panel.  when I restarted I did it in the selective start  up mode, and after the restart it (msconfig) now  says normal start up, so i'll assume the sleep problem will be fixed, the audio is working again.  Now I suppose I have to see if I get any bsod and get back to you. 

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
          I also change the setting so screen doesn't turn off and it doesn't sleep, this way if I get a bsod I should be able to see when it happens.  hope that's ok

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #80 on: July 29, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »
          fingers crossed :)

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »
            thought I'd throw out an update.  since the last post no bsod.  at about 2:17 I opened a second tab in ie (homepage only), thenaround 3:10 I opened firefox and went to wife facebook acct and as of now, no bsod.  going to keep trying different things and see what happens.  I appreciate all the help.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #82 on: July 30, 2015, 07:39:18 AM »
            You're very welcome. Delighted to hear the good news (so far) - thanks for the update!!!

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
              hello again, just got home after work (11:20 local time).  Wife played her Farmville last night while I slept, with two ie windows open and firefox open.  she said it restarted this morning around 0930 or 10 but she said there was no bsod, so not sure why it restarted or if she touched something to make it restart w/o knowing.  looking at my update history it looked like windows 10 tried to install but failed (which is weird because I didn't reserve my free copy because I wasn't sure if I wanted to go there yet with all these bsod).  anyway, I'm gonna let it run for a while see if anything happens.  not sure if I want or need windows 10, guess i'll have to decide.  do I need to be doing anything with autoruns or process explorer? 

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #84 on: July 30, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »
              Not as long as everything is working properly.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #85 on: July 30, 2015, 12:34:02 PM »
              If Win 10 started to install then she started it...it will not do it without user intervention...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2015, 06:29:55 PM »
                okay, thanks for that info.  i'll have to chat with her.

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2015, 08:15:21 AM »
                  well it's been almost 2 full days w/o any bsod, and things appear to be working okay.   I appreciate all the help you guys have provided, so feel free to close this unless there is something else we need to do.  Once again, you guys amaze me with your knowledge and skills.