Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best Antivirus?  (Read 15626 times)

jackh1990

Best Antivirus?
« on: November 13, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »
Hi,
My friend recently had her computer wiped clean because of a nasty virus she picked up and i was just wondering what you guys think is the best antivirus program? My friend doesnt mind paying 40 or 50 pounds. I have heard about the free ones (avg, avast) but it made me think wether they are as competent as the ones you pay for?
Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Best Antivirus?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 08:40:45 PM »
 AVG and Avast are both fine products and both offer a free version.
I run AVG.

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 09:20:07 PM »
    AVG is what you want.

Click here and then click on the file at the bottom of the page (avg71free).

Doesn't cost a penny.  :D

« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 09:21:18 PM by DabbaDoo »
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

jackh1990

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 11:22:07 AM »
    ok cheers for the info + opinion guys
    ;D

Odubhthaigh

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 06:01:23 PM »
    Bah, I disagree.. I've run AVG a lot at work, and it sometimes is a major pain.. and you can't install in SAFE.. which to most people might not seem like an issue, but when you see 50+ possibly infected computers/day.. those reboots add up... Personally, for home use, I love http://Http://www.ewido.org.. very nice, good free version, highly effective and works well with HiJackThis...

Just my 2 cents

Blackberry

Adviser
    • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
      « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 08:59:25 AM »
      i don't think there is one best antivirus program, i think each program have his good and bad points, i'm using NORTON antivirus 2005 and i'm happy with it
      Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 06:35:54 PM »
      Bah, I disagree.. I've run AVG a lot at work, and it sometimes is a major pain.. and you can't install in SAFE.. which to most people might not seem like an issue, but when you see 50+ possibly infected computers/day.. those reboots add up... Personally, for home use, I love http://Http://www.ewido.org.. very nice, good free version, highly effective and works well with HiJackThis...

Just my 2 cents

How has AVG been a pain ? ? I'd be interested to know since i personally have been running it for over 3 years now and have installed it on hundreds of client's machines for them with no complaints...Why would you need to install it in Safe Mode ? ?
      For that matter what programs can you install in Safe Mode ? ?
      Just curious.

patio.  8)

Gaia

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »
      AVG really did a number on my Windows 98 computer. Don't know why.

I would suggest Panda Anti-Virus. Hasn't let me down yet.

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 12:52:23 AM »

Ewido is not an Antivirus program.
        The Ewido realtime protection runs out after a couple of weeks in the free version.
        No wonder you're getting 50+ possibly infected computers a day.
        You should install a good Antivirus like AVG. ;D

Champion_Munch

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 11:23:25 PM »
        For a commercial Anti-Virus utility, I would go for Trend Micro. I have used them for a few years now, they are excellent (the firewall aint that great though, but we're talking about the actual AV aren't we?).

Norton AV uses far too many resources, and their newer versions come packed with too many "goodies" that are useless or mostly useless, often with better freeware substitutes.

MacAfee is alright, but it costs far more than Trend Micro.

I have heard good things about Nod32 and Kaspersky, but I haven't used either of them.

As for freeware, Avast! wins all hands down. AVG does a far worse job at not only finding viruses, but also their removal rate is poor. Avast! uses a bit more resources, however, so I wouldn't install it on any machine more than about 3 or 4 years old.

It's also a good idea to use free Anti-Virus online scans every now and again, as a backup for your hard-drive-based one. Trend Micro and Panda both have decent ones:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
        http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/activescan.asp

with regards

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 09:12:08 AM »
        Not to banter about but i'll make my point anyways.
        I personally have  gone 3 plus years running AVG with absolutely no infections whatsoever...i also work on systems and have for the past 14 years. I couldn't begin to count how many client's machines i have installed AVG on with the same excellent results.

Anyone who says it doesn't perform well or says it caused problems on their machines just doesn't know what they are talking about.

There are more protection programs that need to be used side by side along  with any AV program such as Spybot, AdAware, Ewido Trojan Hunter etc...

But to say AVG doesn't do the job or it caused problems is both mis-leading and inaccurate.

There. I'm Done.

patio.  8)

This Rant brought to you by Woody's Chop Shop.

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
          « Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 04:47:37 PM »
          I like your style, patio.  ;D
          There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 06:38:30 PM »
          A case well made for AVG. I use it on my limited number of Windows boxes and always recommend it to others on theirs.

(Of course I don't need it or ANY of this other good stuff with Linux, heh-heh.)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 06:38:54 PM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 06:42:23 PM »
          The penguin strikes again !

patio.  8)

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 03:26:31 PM »
          Getting philosophical, the best antivirus is the one you update and use regularly along with other appropriate tools.

In the case of Norton, please disregard and use anything else.