Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I allow Windows Defender to accept a website  (Read 12913 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

How do I allow Windows Defender to accept a website
    « on: December 17, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »
    I have Windows 10, which I've only had for about three weeks.  I use Webshots as my screensaver and desktop pictures.  How do I change a setting on Window Defender to allow access to Webshots?  I've looked and looked and cannot find how to add that as an acceptable website.  Also, how do I turn off the password that allows me to get on my computer?  I went to Accounts and Users, but was too afraid to change anything because I didn't know what I was changing.  I have never had a computer that I had to put in a password when I turn it on every day, so I would like to get rid of it.  I just got this computer about three weeks ago, and I'm not all that savvy with computers anyway.  Thanks in advance.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: How do I allow Windows Defender to accept a website
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »
    Why do you think you need to add webshots to Defender?  Are you getting a message telling you that Defender thinks there's a problem with the webshots website?

I tried using the screensaver from the webshots website on my Win 10 machine and didn't need to add anything to Defender to get it to work.  At one point, Windows Firewall asked if it should allow access to webshots but all that was needed was to click the Allow button.

You can add files to an exclusion list in Defender.  Go to Settings->Update & Security->Windows Defender->Exclusions->Add an exclusion to add files for Defender to exclude when it scans.  You can setup exclusions by file, folder, File type or Process.
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:49:42 PM by strollin »

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: How do I allow Windows Defender to accept a website
      « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »
      Sorry Strollin, it is Firewall and I did click to allow them, but now I am getting messages from Webshots and my computer that they are not on the list.  List?  What list?  So I started looking around on the Firewall and I have a page that states what's allowed and when I look at Webshots, it says Private instead of Allow.  I see nowhere to add it to the list or change it from Private to Allow. And I am thinking I might uninstall it and re-install it because somehow during the installation, I did not get the Webshots Screensaver.  It's on the list, but it stays black, so pictures did not get downloaded onto the screensaver.  But I am going to have to do something because I'm tired of the messages from Webshots.