Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: win 10  (Read 3473 times)

JHADD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

win 10
    « on: January 15, 2016, 06:25:16 AM »
    A friend of mine recently upgraded tp WIN 10 it worked fine for several months but now it wont boot up.
    When he powers up the machine it shows the Packard Bell logo then goes off when you press the function buttons to go inti safe mode it just beeps this happens with any of the function buttons.
    Ive tried getting into the BIOS to change the boot order same problem just get a beep, so I'm unable to use a boot disc to reinstall the operating system.
    The only wat I cant turn the power off to the computer is by taking the battery out.
    Ive no details of the computer as I cant get in to find anything .
    Any help would be appreciated jhaddh

JHADD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: win 10
      « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 09:36:01 AM »
      Ive removed the HDD from the laptop this enabled me to access the Bios allowing me to make my optical drive the first boot device touble is as soon as I put the HDD back it reverts to the HDD to the first boot device.
      I tried booting to the recovery disc and then putting the HDD back but the recovery disc didn't allow met to repair the drive.
      Is there any way I could format the drive and reinstall the oS
      thanks in advance for any help

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:50:34 AM »
      Sounds like the CMOS battery isn't holding onto BIOS setting changes...

Did you remember to press "F10 to save changes and Exit" ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JHADD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »
        Yes I pressed f10 but as soon as I refit the hard disc it over rides it  backgoes back to trying to boot to the hard disc.
        I tried taking the HDD out booting to the CD it booted to the CD then I had to put the HDD disc bsck while the power was still on but the recovery disc still couldn't access the HDD.
        I was wandering if I could format the disc any other way to get rid of whatevers stopping me accessing the HDD
        Thanks again for any help jhadd

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »
        You may have to disable quick boot in the BIOS to give it enuff time to load the Advanced boot menu which you boot to CD/DVD from...

BTW Win 10 is Shift + F8 to get to advanced boot menu/safe mode...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "