Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wal-Mart Closures Bring Out the Amazon Sellers  (Read 3337 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Wal-Mart Closures Bring Out the Amazon Sellers
« on: January 29, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »
Here is the story in brief:

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. closed about 150 U.S. stores this month, due in part to rising competition from online retailers. The largest of those Web rivals, Amazon.com Inc., is reaping benefit thanks to some eager resellers.
Deep discounts at Walmart locations drew shoppers like 22-year-old Keith Yaple, who says he bought about $12,000 in discounted merchandise at one store in Hartland, Mich., so he could resell them for a profit on Amazon.

This is from a blog of The Wall Street Journal.

Link:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2016/01/29/wal-mart-closures-bring-out-the-amazon-sellers/

Here is my question.d Is anybody here doing thins? If so, can you share with us your get rich secrets?  ;D

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Wal-Mart Closures Bring Out the Amazon Sellers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 07:01:12 AM »
Not taking advantage of the walmart closings to make money by buying stuff at discount and listing it back up at full retail to make the margin, but I have bought items on clearance before from stores and list it online for a nickel less than the cheapest online and sold things like Scientific Calculators, Floppy Disks, unopened software, and other various items that I knew I could make some money on.

My best Walmart purchase to save money in which I could have made money was back when oil prices went through the roof. Kerosine heating fuel was about $5.50 per gallon and I just happened to be in the sporting goods section of Walmart to get some bullets and out of curiosity I looked to see how much they were charging for the metal cans of Kerosine on the shelf that is normally for camping. It was $2.00 less per gallon because Walmart didnt adjust their Kerosine prices to the spike that happened in the market. So I bought out all the Kerosine they had and saved myself about $80.00. BUT when going through the store buying up all their Kerosine it drew attention to myself. I was buying them and loading my truck with them and going back in and cleaning off the shelf and riser of kerosine. On the 3rd trip in the manager asked what I was doing. I said buying kerosine. He said your not making a bomb right? I laughed and said NO!! I said your kerosine is $2 per gallon cheaper than what I'm paying from local oil company and so I'm buying up all your kerosine. He didnt stop my purchase, but when I inquired about buying 250 gallons more of it, he said sorry there is an issue and until the issue is resolved we are all out. There was a price problem where whoever does their inventory control and keeps pricing up to date, didnt keep Kerosine up to date. A few weeks later I saw Kerosine on the shelf but about $1 more per gallon than the oil company can deliver it.

Only pain with this was having all the empty Kerosine cans to recycle and pour them in one at a time, but hey. I saved a nice chunk of change until it was corrected. Im sure others would do it to save $80.  :P  ;D  My wife shook her head at me for what I did. I make her shake her head a lot.  ::)

I could have sold the Kerosine at a profit and made good money if not stopped by the manager and shut off from buying 250 gallons more. Im sure more people than myself would love to make an easy $1.50 to $2.00 on items that cost $3.50 each and an endless supply. Problem though is that Walmart shut me off from being a local Kerosine Tycoon to make $1.50 to $2 per can of it.  :P   But walmart probably would have been selling it below their cost with the flaw in their pricing.  ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:12:33 AM »
Dave's real last name is Rockefeller...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »
Dave's real last name is Rockefeller...

ha ha ha ha ... I wouldnt mind having that kind of dough  :P

But making money takes money as a very successful person once told me. As well as to be at the right market at the right time and take advantage of a situation before anyone else, or mass populous does.

btw yard sales are a good place to find items to make money on. Sometimes a killing!! But to make money from some people you do feel like that guy named AL in AL's Toy Barn on toy story movie. But I'd never steal an item like AL.  ;D

Good money has been made in buying and selling collectible items like Star Trek, Star Wars, old video games and systems, LP Records that are in demand in good condition or unopened, and antique tube radios etc.

Took a 25 cent Star Trek (First Edition Book) in like new condition and sold that for $50
Took an old miniature Donkey Kong arcade, the ones that came out in the early 1980s with the VFD display in complete working condition and bought that for $3 and sold it for $125 on ebay. *Too bad it didnt have its original box or been unopened as for those go for much much more.
Took an old 1950s era light bulb that was a old Neon, and got that for $1 and sold that for $40 to a guy who needed it for an old light fixture of the period. It worked fine when I tested it before selling it too.
Got old original 1980s Star Wars action figures in a box with the wing fighter that worked but was missing its battery cover for $10 and sold all that individually and made about $250
Atari Cartridges and system I got for $15 and there were about 80 game cartridges pieced it out on ebay selling cartridges for $2 to $10 each depending on rarety and the system and made about $350
C64 in original box in protective styrofoam with manual and power supply I paid $25 and sold that for $300
Old 1960s and 1970s baseball cards I bought in a box for $5. Sold them to a collector for $75
Original Garbage Pail Kid Cards + unopened packs of them, some loose and some complete series in 3 ring binders I paid $40 and sold them for $600
Old 1874 50 cent note. Person thought it was an old coupon. Bought it for $1 and sold it for $25 because it was rather aged and not mint condition as seen here another person selling one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231740011640?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
Bought a cigar box of foreign coins for $20, I saw the "American" Half Cents in the box and had to have it. There was a 1809 and 1833 Half Cent in there which was American among other coins that were the rest of them old English Copper with Victoria etc. I pieced it all out and made about $300

You have to know what to look for, have money, and take advantage of opportunity when it knocks! I dont look at it as being a crook because people are selling it because they are too lazy to list it on ebay and do research etc. One persons laziness is profit for another.

Making money like what I shared above doesnt happen every day, otherwise I'd be rich which Im not. Many yard sales just have modern junk and are a waste of time looking around. Local Library had a book sale a few years back to make room for new books and were charging by the box full $3 per box full. I grabbed automotive, CAD, and other pricey books that still had use, and of the $9 in books I sold them and made about $120 with only a couple books that no one wanted and those became fire starter for camping.  ;D

Friend of mine really scored big at a yard sale 2 years ago and in a box of foreign coins that he picked up was a 1793 Penny. It was almost completely worn smooth on both sides but he got $350 for it and it only cost him $5 for the small handful of old english coins with the rare 1793 american penny in the mix. Looking now at the current price, he probably could have gotten more than $350 for it since its $4850 in AG-3, but his was Lower than AG-3 but probably worth around $800 or so to plug a hole in a collection.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]