Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ram Usage Build up, no apparent reason in Taskmanagement.  (Read 4768 times)

xxevenxx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Ram Usage Build up, no apparent reason in Taskmanagement.
    « on: June 02, 2016, 07:40:08 PM »
    Hi!

I've done a fair amount of googling about this, but i can't seem to find a problem that fits mine, nor a solution.

Before i could leave my pc on for days on end and nothing would affect it, a few months later my ram usage in Taskmanagement would show up as 97-100% and I'd notice a great reduce in computer speed. Hard lagging and sluggish, a qucik restart solved the problem until it came back again after a few days of use. After not finding a solution to the problem i invested in new RAM. This didn't fix the problem either. After the pc being off for 2 weeks due to travel, it used roughly 20 minutes to boot up and launch all it's programs. I did a few more restarts and it started easing up again, but it was waaaay too slow still. I updated chipset drivers, BIOS, Videocard, and more. This cleared the sluggishness almost completely, but it's still a bit slower than what it used to. Now however it would only take a few hours of playing games etc to make the RAM usage hit 98% where the computer will start lagging uncontrollably.

-

Here is what i use the computer for and the software that runs while it's on.

-
    Chrome, Skype, Utorrent (with downloads and uploads from time to time), Spotify, Norton Security, Realtech HD Soundmanagement, NVIDIA Geforce Experience, Xonar D2X Audio Center, Razer Synapse, Killer Network Manager, Intel Rapid, Battle.net, Steam and a few games on and off. (League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Don't Starve)

SPECS.

Cooler Master G750W PSU ATX 12V
    (New Ram) HyperX Beast DDR3 2400MHz 16GB       -       (Old Ram) Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB
    MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7-4790K
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 X2 in SLI
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (Which Windows 10 is installed on)

What on earth is causing this to happen?
    I have not yet done wiped the disk and re-installed everything, that's my next step if you guys can't give me another solution.

Here is a picture of my current stats in Taskmanagement, sorted by Usage.
    https://gyazo.com/3060695d4169d807723af167179005f4
    (Sorry that it's in Norwegian) The top text says ''System and compressed memory''
    Thank you for reading. :)
    -
    Even from Norway.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ram Usage Build up, no apparent reason in Taskmanagement.
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 01:57:37 AM »
    Here is a short answer. Do not leave yor computer on all the time. Doyoo have thecomputer in aroom that can drop thetemperatukre down to freezing? If not, if in is in a climatized room, then there is nmo need to leave it one all thetime.

(Some sers in your part of the world leave thecomputer on becuase temperature might drop to freezing and this can make the computer hartd to stgart. Or even damage it. But this does not apply to you?)

Asimple testis to start the computer again in SAFE mode and notice if the prolem goes away. If so, this may inmdicate a background service has some reason to increase RAM usage. My first guess would be any kind of torrent software lyou are using.

Most likely it has to be a software issue.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:01:02 AM »
    Based on what you've provided here so far, my suspicion is there may be a Driver leaking memory. As you've said (and shown) your RAM is shown as being used, and yet there is no obvious process actually using it; in the screenshot, Your 16GB of RAM is shown as being used up by 61% despite the processes listed not appearing to break 1GB.

On the "Performance" Tab, if you click "Memory" in the left pane, what is the value for "Non-paged Pool" displayed on the right?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

xxevenxx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 05:39:22 AM »
      Based on what you've provided here so far, my suspicion is there may be a Driver leaking memory. As you've said (and shown) your RAM is shown as being used, and yet there is no obvious process actually using it; in the screenshot, Your 16GB of RAM is shown as being used up by 61% despite the processes listed not appearing to break 1GB.

On the "Performance" Tab, if you click "Memory" in the left pane, what is the value for "Non-paged Pool" displayed on the right?

I started my PC an hour ago and read your response, the NonPaged Pool was then at 300-400 ish. After an hour of playing Overwatch it's climbed to 1.8GB.

xxevenxx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 05:40:40 AM »
        Here is a short answer. Do not leave yor computer on all the time. Doyoo have thecomputer in aroom that can drop thetemperatukre down to freezing? If not, if in is in a climatized room, then there is nmo need to leave it one all thetime.

(Some sers in your part of the world leave thecomputer on becuase temperature might drop to freezing and this can make the computer hartd to stgart. Or even damage it. But this does not apply to you?)

Asimple testis to start the computer again in SAFE mode and notice if the prolem goes away. If so, this may inmdicate a background service has some reason to increase RAM usage. My first guess would be any kind of torrent software lyou are using.

Most likely it has to be a software issue.  :)
        Yeah i should probably try Safe mode, my guess it actually is software and that safe mode will prove that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
        I started my PC an hour ago and read your response, the NonPaged Pool was then at 300-400 ish. After an hour of playing Overwatch it's climbed to 1.8GB.

That would seem to confirm it is a driver with a memory leak. Generally speaking the Non-paged pool is memory allocated by Driver software; if it climbs like that it usually indicates a memory leak in a driver. FWIW My system has been running for nearly 2 weeks and it is sitting at around 400.

Now, the better question is- which driver. After all, you have upgraded/changed many of your drivers.

I had a long process here using driver tools to determine the source, however I've found many reports where the "Killer Network" Driver suite is a culprit; there are many reports of it causing a lot of memory leaks on many systems. You might want to try updating the driver for the network adapter here.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

xxevenxx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 07:49:18 AM »
          That would seem to confirm it is a driver with a memory leak. Generally speaking the Non-paged pool is memory allocated by Driver software; if it climbs like that it usually indicates a memory leak in a driver. FWIW My system has been running for nearly 2 weeks and it is sitting at around 400.

Now, the better question is- which driver. After all, you have upgraded/changed many of your drivers.

I had a long process here using driver tools to determine the source, however I've found many reports where the "Killer Network" Driver suite is a culprit; there are many reports of it causing a lot of memory leaks on many systems. You might want to try updating the driver for the network adapter here.
          Indeed you are correct sir, after you told me about non paged pool memory i did some research aswell and landed on my Killer Network. I uninstalled it, got the newest version and the computer has been running smooth for almost 24 hours now with ram usage steady and low. :) Thank you so much!

xam

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
            i have the same problem with killer internet after reading your problem i remove the killer app and it fix my problem,no more memory build up.thanks!