Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Not Performing.  (Read 9610 times)

cademichaels

CPU Not Performing.
« on: November 25, 2005, 07:19:30 AM »
I assure you.  This is not a simple problem.  I am a seasoned tech.  There are no viruses, no spyware.  My CPU is running like garbage.  I cannot figure out why.  I am thinking it is a driver issue or something but have no way to prove one way or the other.  My CPU is simply not performing.  Its not virtual memory, its not the ram, I don't have too many apps running.  

I have replaced the CPU, motherboard and video card.  still the same.  

Does anyone know of an Operating System Independant CPU benchmarking tool?  So I can boot to the Benchmark tool without any operating system interference?  Because everything I am doing tells me this is a hardware problem but I am running out of parts to replace.  

Thanx

cademichaels

Re: CPU Not Performing.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 07:45:58 AM »
Its a mobile P4 2.8 ghz

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 01:21:18 PM »
    How can you say its your cpu or hardware when you said you have replaced it. need more info on the specs of your computer and when this problem started. Whats it run like in safemode.
    « Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 01:22:29 PM by Frankie »

cademichaels

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 11:53:51 AM »
    How can you say its your cpu or hardware when you said you have replaced it. need more info on the specs of your computer and when this problem started. Whats it run like in safemode.

It runs just as poorly in safemode as it does in standard mode.  I agree that it "Shouldn't" be a hardware problem since everything was replaced but it is possible both (however very unlikely) were bad.  If I had an OS independant Benchmarking tool I could rule that out.  

Frankie

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 01:04:10 PM »
      You could have a bottleneck somewhere but without knowing the specs of the PC and motherboard i cant say.

cademichaels

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 06:14:29 PM »
      Its a Toshiba a45-2501

Frankie

Apprentice
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 09:21:36 PM »
        Sorry did a google on that no reply. Untill you give more details im not sure anyone can help here.
        « Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 09:28:07 PM by Frankie »

cademichaels

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 10:22:25 AM »
        What do you want to know?  I'm a tech myself.  http://support.toshiba.com punch in the model and you will get all the specs

Frankie

Apprentice
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 11:32:15 AM »
          Goto task manager and processes and see if anything is using the processor other than whats suppose to.

When you say its running like garbage do you mean your computer is running slow if so. Have you checked for overheating scanned your hard disk for bad sectors, it could be your hard drive wearing out or your OS could be corrupt. Remove or disable any programs that automatically start each time the computer boots.

Safemode determines if it is a driver issue.
          « Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 12:05:09 PM by Frankie »

smelly_Cat

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 11:59:35 AM »
          This is a shot in the dark but...
          Sometimes  the video card or sound  can make the PC wacky.  Try disabling the sound or another V-card.  SC

Dell4700

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 12:56:59 PM »
          cademichaels,

You're not sure it's a processor problem or something else and you want to find a way to evaluate it?  You have replaced most of your hardware, including the MB?  Have you replaced the processor?

If I read you right, here are some ideas:

-  measuring processor performance independent of your system (software/hardware) would require hardware not readily available to the public, such as measurement tools during manufacturing.  You can, however, closely simulate this by doing a thorough benchmark of your processor with minimal hardware and software in place (remove as much as you can to simplify the troubleshooting).  Once you have done this, replace the processor with another of the same type, model and ratings, if you can.  Redo the benchmark, and any difference can be attributed to the processor. I'd suggest using more than one benchmarking tool.

If you can't find another processor, you'll have to rely on numbers from others such as Everest.

- if the benchmarks are close, then most likely it is not a processor problem.

- MB settings, jumpers, power, cabling, etc. rechecked?
          - BIOS settings consistent with system?
          - drive settings (bus, type, format) checked?
          - operating system(s) settings consistent with hardware?

But, I'm sure you already know this!

Good Luck!

Dell

cademichaels

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 02:16:16 PM »
          Looking for an Benchmark tool that will boot from a CD or Floppy.  Then I can rule that out.  The Processor and MB.  Its a laptop so that includes almost all the other hardware (video, etc)

cademichaels

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 03:03:19 PM »
          Hey i just noticed this in my boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
          timeout=30
          default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
          [operating systems]
          multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /forceresetreg /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I could not find any resources explaining /forceresetreg but I know I need /fastdetect.  However I am confused about this /noexecute  How do I know if this should be enabled?  this sounds like something that could cause a problem if configured wrong

smelly_Cat

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 05:09:13 PM »
          I hope you figure this out,   At work we have an IBM thinkpad that has been excessively slow since we bought it.  We have tried to fix it and had tech guys take it apart and change out components and it just never performed.  Maybe its a lemon.  Did this Laptop you have ever work well or has it alway been underwelming?  SC

cademichaels

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 12:55:13 PM »
          Been for about a month