Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Extending DOS beyond the 640K limit  (Read 4465 times)

Bigfooters

Extending DOS beyond the 640K limit
« on: July 29, 2004, 01:28:52 AM »
[glb]PLEASE HELP !!!![/glb]

I am trying to put a TCP/IP stack on a DOS 6.22 PC. at the moment it uses NetBEUI.

If I change the network card to use TCP/IP then I run out of memory, so what I am looking for is a program that will let me use the other 63MB that are available on the P3 1Ghz PC.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Bigfooters

MalikTous

Re: Extending DOS beyond the 640K limit
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 01:42:24 PM »
Unless you're using a CGA or Hercules card, your main program RAM is limitted to 640K.

You can move stuff out of there. First, get acquainted with MSD, the Microsoft System Diagnostics tool, included with DOS 6 and later. It includes a decent memory viewer.

You can use devicehigh in config.sys and loadhigh or lh in autoexec.bat to move things from the 0 to 640K RAM range.

config.sys example:

device-c:\dos\himem.sys /v
dos=high,umb
device=emm386.exe noems

files=25
buffers=24
stacks=9,256
fcbs=10,6
lastdrive=z

devicehigh=c:\dos\setver.exe
devicehigh=c:\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys /d:cd01
devicehigh=c:\network\smc4dos.sys /dev:eth0
devicehigh=c:\network\win3tcp.sys /eth0
devicehigh=c:\audio\sndcard.sys /a:220 /m:330 /i:5 /j:201

Sample autoexec.bat:

@echo off
path ;
c:\fprot\bootscan /root /autofix
lh c:\video\et4kdos.com
lh c:\fprot\rscan
lh c:\mouse\mouse.com
lh c:\cdrom\mscdex.exe /d:cd01 /m:12
set netpath=c:\network\temp
lh c:\network\winsock.com
set blaster=a:220 m:330 i:5 j:201 t:4
lh c:\audio\arack.com /blaster
path c:\dos;c:\windows;c:\;c:\fprot;c:\network;
prompt $p$g
if exist c:\temp\nul: deltree c:\temp
md c:\temp
set temp=c:\temp
ver

These samples may not contain your driver versions. If you use something based on these, use MSD to verify that most or all of your resident files are loaded out of your 640K workspace.

You can then use MEMMAKER to gain even higher efficiency by fine-tuning the boot sequence to put as many of your files high as possible. Load order is significant.

I include the trick of not setting unnecessary environment variables (I even ditch the default PATH) until they are needed. Each resident program includes a copy of the then-current environment when it loads. Shaving off the environment saves space. This file set also clears the TEMP directory automatically on startup.

Bigfooters

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 08:22:19 AM »
I am trying to get TCP/IP working on a dos 6.33 boot floppy disk. It keeps saying that I am out of memory. Is there a way of not loading DNR, as these is where I have the problem.

Many thanks for any help in advance :)

Bigfooters

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 06:26:53 PM »
DNR? Unfamiliar. In the sample files, the network card, sound card, and video card drivers are loaded 'high' to get them out of the lower 640K RAM.

You may want to use a router to provide DHCP, DNS, and NAT services to your system and firmware firewall services to discourage hackers and malware.