Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer locks up....  (Read 49960 times)

kati_jo

Computer locks up....
« on: July 31, 2004, 12:13:35 AM »
Okay.....I have searched everywhere I can think of.  I like to play on-line games and beginning about 1 1/2 months ago my computer started locking up in the middle of a game.  it is only some games.  I have tried a system restore and it tells me that there have been no changes made.  I have done the directXdiag and all looks okay.  I did try to dawnload the update for nVidia and when I didn that my machine would not re-boot, it just started looping.  I had to do a restart from last known good config.  I am running Windows XP pro (an upgrade disc from windows ME).  I have tried everything in my small array of knowledge......any ideas?  thank you ???

kati_jo

Re: Computer locks up....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 12:34:51 AM »
I forgot to note that after the nVidia debacle.....I reverted back to the last known good config....now I have a missing dll file.  I downloaded it, but it doesnt semm to like it.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 01:11:21 AM »
have a look in the events log view errors.admin tools...you could roll back your nvida driver?does this happen on certain websites.... lost dll either re-boot f8 and chose the last good config..or try system file checker C:\>sfc /?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 01:17:23 AM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 10:04:38 AM »
I have checked the events log and the only thing in there is a bunch of errors when internet explorer wont close out properly. So I have to ctrl/alt/delete.  I am not sure how to roll back my driver? I did do the last good config and it still says I am missing the driver. Finally....I am not sure about the system file checker?  thank you for your help.  I am afraid I will need to wipe the hard drive and start all over.  

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 01:13:32 PM »
try f8 again safe mode and do this>control panel/system/advanced/settings >startup and recovery>/system failure/uncheck-automatically restart. try download the driver again...

kati_jo

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 10:34:24 PM »
Okay....I did that, but now it wont let me download the driver again...and I cant restore it to an earlier date because nothing has changed.  UGH

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 05:26:06 AM »
hit the f8 key again and chose last good config and re-boot..and this bunch of errors<event log> what are they?

kati_jo

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 12:06:01 AM »
there are so many I dont even know where to start.  Quite a few acpi, Service Control Manager, DCOM, VSS, Event System, Application Hang.   well.....for the most part the freezing occurs when I try to play online games in Yahoo.....I just dont know.   :-/ :'(

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 12:46:36 PM »
any stop error messages try an online virus scan from trendmirco...and scan for trojans etc use stinger form network associates or try this>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm  you have of course all the uopdates?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 12:48:01 PM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 09:56:08 PM »
I do have all the updates.  I did a fresh install of XP Pro....I am still getting locked up.  If I have several windows opened it will lock up to I have just found out.  I am thinking it might be something to do with the video card.  When I try to download the update for it it messes up the whole computer.  I have to do a last known good config.  

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 01:58:12 PM »
try this website it may help>http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm  but the issue here is your graphics card?does your keyboard mouse play up?and nearly forgot the phamtom winxp firewall is it configured to this game site?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 01:59:41 PM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 12:23:14 AM »
I thought the firewall would just block the site?  My computer comletely locks up....have to shut down and re-boot.  Keyboard and mouse are fine.I will try the site you suggested.  TY for all the help

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 02:13:20 AM »
You should clean the registry and remove redundant files with a program such as Advanced System Optimizer and Regseeker.

And use the Windows diskcleaner as well.

kati_jo

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 10:42:46 PM »
Okay.....feeling REALLY stupid now.  I looked at the website that Merlin posted, it was like greek to me.  and I have NO clue how to do the tasks that Raptor suggests......I am sorry.

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 03:22:19 AM »
Go to these websites:

Advanced System Optimizer

Regseeker

(Click on the names to go there)

From there, download the programs (ASO is only avaible as a free trial, unless you plan on registering) and follow the instructions carefully Nothing can go wrong if you are careful and read.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 03:23:41 AM by Raptor »