Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: magic Jack phone service  (Read 3055 times)

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    magic Jack phone service
    « on: March 04, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »
    In a few months, my cable/internet/phone bundle package deal special will end and the cost of this is going to go up! Comcast is already high as it is! So I've been considering trying the Magic jack to save money. However, there's few things that I am unsure about. My telephone line in my bedroom is routed down the hallway to the living room where my main phone is. Both the living room telephone and bedroom phone lines are connected to a white gadget (similar to a splitter)  that has 2 ports. The l.r. phone is connected to the port that says phone and the b.r. phone is connected to a port that says DSL. This white gadget is then ported to the router. If I were to get MJ, would I be able to unplug the splitter gadget and plug it into the MJ, rather than just unhooking the main phone only to to the MJ? I hope this is not too confusing. It is hard to put into words. Another way of saying it is that rather than the main phone being connected to the router only, this splitter gadget makes it possible to plug BOTH phones into it.
    I have tried researching this via google and you tube but can not find an answer. All I have been able to find out is that typically, to have multiple phones with MJ, you have to have a base phone that comes with multiple handsets. Since there's this splitter gadget supporting both phones, would that alleviate needing to buy new phones? BTW, comcast provided the splitter gadget.
    Thanks so much for any help!
    Breadcrumb
    Call me "Breadcrumb". I'm certainly crummy at computer stuff!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: magic Jack phone service
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »
    Magic Jack has been around for awhile and many people like it.
    Howsoever, if you are confused, find a local  person to explain it to you. It does not work for everybody.
    In fact, so many have been disappointed and  they have posted negative things on websites. Here is one:
    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/magicjack.html
    When I bought magicJack on the phone, the sales person confirmed 3 times that I can speak to a live person on their toll free number. After setting the service up, and needed help, they said I had to go chat with someone on their website and they have no one there who can talk to me about my problem. When I confronted their customer service with this, he said "What do you want to do about it". No apologies or any accountability like it was wrong and "we'll address this with our sales department."

My person view is that you find a cell phone service that works good in your area.  Some of the better cell phone companies can also provide Internet service at  a fair price.  In many areas the cell phone service is as good as the standard land line telephone  service and has  better Internet. To be sure, you have to ask somebody who lives and works in your area.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: magic Jack phone service
    « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »
    Magic Jack is a huge hustle...don't matter how long it's been around...
    Look up some of the complaints.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "