Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware monitor error  (Read 3743 times)

Bear816

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Hardware monitor error
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »
I have read the thread on here about hardware monitor error but nothing I tried from that thread helped. So I'm hoping by posting this someone can give me some advice.

I have a very old desk top computer I am trying to get running again. Every time I try to power it up I get the message: "Hardware monitor found an error. Enter power setup menu for details." I have gone to the power setup menu and the only thing I could see that might be wrong was under the +12v listing. It read out at 11.8v. So I removed the power supply which was 165w and replaced it with another power supply rated at 330w. This solved the low voltage of 11.8v and brought it up to 12.2v. This did not solve the hardware monitor error. I went back into the power setup menu and disabled everything hoping that it would just bypass this part of the boot up. Again, this did not work. I don't know what else to do. Can anyone give me some input as to how  I can resolve this problem? Thank you so very much in advance.

Computer spec's:
Award Medallion BIOS v6.0
BIOS Revision 1002
Intel Pentium 4 2200 Mhz Processor
Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
HDD: Maxtor  6L080L0
CD ROM: HL-DT-ST GCE-8400B
Memory: 1048576K

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Hardware monitor error
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:03:27 PM »
I'd guess that the CPU is overheating. Given the age of the system, The Heatsink may be clogged with dust, so the CPU runs far too hot. (Pentium 4 CPU's ran incredibly hot), or, the Fan on the heatsink or otherwise intended to breeze air over the heatsink may have failed.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Bear816

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
I have cleaned all of the dust out of it. You could eat dinner off it. The MB temperature is reading at 77 degree's and the CPU temperature is reading at 122.5 degree's. The CPU fan speed is 2220 RPM's.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
No matter how you cleaned those temps are high...unless it's Faranheit...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Bear816

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 06:40:22 PM »
Sorry......Yes the temperatures are in faraheit.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »
If you can get the motherboard model number then we/you could look for the Motherboard Manual, it may provide a more complete pictures of what would trip this "monitor" feature.

I found a post which suggests that the Power Supply itself may have a Monitor connector for the motherboard.

Look for a brown 3-pin connector shell with one each blue, white, and black wires terminated to it. This is your power supply fan monitoring cable. Plug it into the mainboard mating connector, marked "PWR FAN", typically located top right quadrant of the mainboard , below the dvd/cd drive.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.