Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cd Burner Quits During Burning  (Read 2188 times)

kb1bdb

Cd Burner Quits During Burning
« on: December 08, 2005, 12:44:08 PM »
My CD burner which has always worked fine in the past is having issues where it will burn about halfway through a playlist and then the burn will cancel.  I've tried slowing down the burning speed, I've tried using different CD brands, I've tried several burning programs and they all act the same.  It seems to be able to burn 22-25 minutes worth of music just fine, but the discs are 700 MB/ 80 min. and the burner has burned much longer discs in the past.  It plays cd's and dvd's fine and I can burn data without any trouble.  Any suggestions??

Dell4700

Re: Cd Burner Quits During Burning
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 01:16:58 PM »
There are several possible causes for your problem.  Without knowing what you are using (PC, drive, hard drive, software, recent changes, etc.) or how you are using it (external, multi-tasking, etc.), the following are several guesses:

- The drive may be bad or intermittent.  Check the drive, cables, connectors, power, drivers.  Clean the laser lens. Try another drive.

- check your system.  You may not have have enough system speed or other resources to write with your drive at its current settings.  Run some simple tests included with most common write software (Nero, Roxio, etc.).  Make sure you have enough buffer space to prevent underruns.

- make sure your system is not the cause of overheating, underpowering or other seemingly unrelated causes.  Check for background processes that might crash your drive.  Temporarily turn off as many unnecessary programs as you can, such as anti-virus, office processes, networking, etc.

The fact that your drive worked in the past hints that something has changed.

Dell