Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black screen issue: wanting your opinion  (Read 3507 times)

Bluewisp

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Black screen issue: wanting your opinion
    « on: July 14, 2017, 07:30:05 AM »
    Hello

I've searched for this issue and seen all kind of reasons, but my own analysis doesn't seem to fit any. So I'm kind of desperate. I'll make it clear and simple:

Issue:
    - "Random" black screen" with:
    -- Infinite sound loop
    -- Lose all input control
    -- Nothing on screen, no text, nothing but a black void
    -- No shutdown, no reboot
    -- No lose of power
    -- No lose of HDMI signal
    -- Nothing in system and application events but this error around: "The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error: The request is not supported."
    -- Happen when playing a video, or simply loading a web page, at every 10-15min
    -- Can play a game full-screen for hours without this happening
    -- Reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch. Still happening.
    -- This is a high performance computer, no cheap parts. Not even 2 years old

My analysis:
    - GPU: it doesn't happen for hours of intensive heat generating game. So it's surely not a temp or stress issue
    - PSU/RAM/Motherboard/Hard disks: same as GPU. Why would it be the PSU if happening during low stress but never in high-stress?
    - Not the OS, since it still happen after a clean Windows 10 install

What I think to do:
    - GPU last driver is bogus with the GPU (Nvidia Geforce GTX 770)
    - BIOS flash could maybe fix an evolutive change in OS system or drivers that now cause an issue
    - Try another graphic card, I have an old one. If it's the GPU, it would reveal it.

Now I would like your opinion. What can it be? Thank you.

Bluewisp

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Black screen issue: wanting your opinion
      « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »
      The only thing I found in the event logs are those warnings always around after a reboot:
      The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1.
      The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device {C5A047D8-CB5B-40E9-B9E3-316AB06B5A18}\WirelessKeyboardFilter\8&2490b510&0&01.

Chipset drivers and BIOS updated to the last available version. There are several hits on google about those drivers warnings + a black screen, but I was not able to conclude for sure if it's the PSU, GPU, or something else. It doesn't happened this afternoon, alone for 4 hours. But soon as I started to use it, it happened when opening a web page, and also while watching a video (out of chrome). This make me think of something with GPU, GPU drivers, or those device warnings, much than anything else.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 11:20:57 PM »
      You test a PSU by substitution.
      Not all faiures are temp relatied.

pcurtj1974

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:12:57 AM »
      breadboard it

Hello

I've searched for this issue and seen all kind of reasons, but my own analysis doesn't seem to fit any. So I'm kind of desperate. I'll make it clear and simple:

Issue:
      - "Random" black screen" with:
      -- Infinite sound loop
      -- Lose all input control
      -- Nothing on screen, no text, nothing but a black void
      -- No shutdown, no reboot
      -- No lose of power
      -- No lose of HDMI signal
      -- Nothing in system and application events but this error around: "The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error: The request is not supported."
      -- Happen when playing a video, or simply loading a web page, at every 10-15min
      -- Can play a game full-screen for hours without this happening
      -- Reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch. Still happening.
      -- This is a high performance computer, no cheap parts. Not even 2 years old

My analysis:
      - GPU: it doesn't happen for hours of intensive heat generating game. So it's surely not a temp or stress issue
      - PSU/RAM/Motherboard/Hard disks: same as GPU. Why would it be the PSU if happening during low stress but never in high-stress?
      - Not the OS, since it still happen after a clean Windows 10 install

What I think to do:
      - GPU last driver is bogus with the GPU (Nvidia Geforce GTX 770)
      - BIOS flash could maybe fix an evolutive change in OS system or drivers that now cause an issue
      - Try another graphic card, I have an old one. If it's the GPU, it would reveal it.

Now I would like your opinion. What can it be? Thank you.

Bluewisp

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:41:27 PM »
        Hi

I want to give the information to people that may have the same problem.
        Finally it's the last official driver for my graphic card (nvidia geforce GTX770). Versions from June 29, 2017, even the recent version from July 24, 2017, are having this bug. I'm using May 22, 2017 and I got no more black screens at all. Today I tried the one from July 24, 2017 and less than 15 minutes after, I got a black screen again.

Too bad that I reinstalled the OS for this, but at least I paid nothing for new parts. So it may be a good suggestion to downgrade graphic drivers first before to think about hardware, especially if there is no overheating.

pcurtj1974

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »
        Have you tried breadboarding it? I would bet there is a program running in the background that is causing issues. You also could order a new BIOS chip. Don't always mess with the bios chip. Its is a miniature SSD and can only be written to so many times.