Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cd rom not reconized as boot device  (Read 2964 times)

dogawar

cd rom not reconized as boot device
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:57:19 PM »
HELP!!!! I just helped a friend upgrade his cpu fron a celeron D2.2 533 fsb to a pentium 4 2.6  800 fsb
I recommended that he reforrmat after putting in the new cpu, but now it doresnt reconize the cdrom as a boot device i went into dos and made sure of the boot priority then to boot prefrence and everything is set like it should be, i have done this 100 times and never had thisa issue instead of telling me to boot to cd hit any key it just boots to windows like a rocket no matter what boot command i use I even disabled every boot device except the dvd/cd rom and i get the message reboot and select boot device, i set thwe bios to defualt and started over sevral times I am lost what else can i do

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: cd rom not reconized as boot device
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:49:57 PM »
An interesting issue. If you're getting the prompt "press any key to boot from a CD" that would indicate to me that it's a bootable CD and that it's being detected and seen. My only assumption that the key is not being pressed fast enough, the boot CD is bad, or drive is bad.

We know the keyboard works because you've been in BIOS, No other drives are booting because they've been removed, has to be CD or drive.

Try borrowing an alternate bootable CD from a friend or co-worker and/or try an alternate CD drive.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

royphil345

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 03:56:51 AM »
Is the CD ROM drive being detected as a CD ROM drive by the BIOS? Sounds like it's just not being detected. Installed right? BIOS settings right for the CD ROM drive? Try another CD ROM drive maybe...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 04:09:49 AM by royphil345 »

dogawar

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 02:31:17 PM »
just to prove the point that computers have no common sense, we got the issued fixed but the least i could do is tell you how, now understan in his pc he has a cd rom and a dvd rom they are reconized in the bios and seem to work fine, I also have a cd rom and dvd in my computer the windows cd worked fine in my cd tried to boot every time, in either drive, how ever it would not try to boot when it was in either one of his drives, put it in my wifes pc and tried to boot from cd, so this would lead one to think the cd must be fine works in 3 out of 5 drives, his drives work fine except for it wont reconize them as a boot device after 4 hrs of cussing and screaming and pulling my hair out I gave up for the night. so my friend packed up his pc and went home with his tail between his legs, 20 min later he calls me, he is over joyed he has the copie of my disc that I had left there by mistake, [now this is a copie of the same disc that wouldnt work in his drives] here is the kicker he put the copie in and poof"HIT ANY KEY TO BOOT TO CD" AND YOU KNOW HOW IT ENDS , HE INSTALLED WINDOWS XP AND IS TROUBLE FREE???
 so just a reminder that I leanred awhile back if trying something to fix a problem on a pc makes absolutly no sense , and by all counts would never possibly work, TRY IT ANY WAY, CAUSE NO ONE HAS EVER BOTHERED TO PROGRAM COMMON SENSE INTO A COMPUTER YET!
any way thx for all your help now and in the past

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 03:39:12 PM »
    Ask him if he dropped the computer on the way home :D