Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD Burners  (Read 2134 times)

BraiNfreeZe

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Beginner
    DVD Burners
    « on: February 20, 2019, 02:07:58 PM »
    I have two DVD burners installed on my desktop PC. They both show up in device manager and says "This device is working properly." Well, these two devices are not working properly. (LOL). When I insert a DVD movie or music CD in to play, nothing happens now. I thought I might have a defective DVD unit but what is the likelihood that both of these drives went bad at the same time? Should I just buy and install a new DVD burner? I have tried things like update driver and uninstall this device to no avail. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks--

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: DVD Burners
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 02:29:46 PM »
    ...but what is the likelihood that both of these drives went bad at the same time?
    It is about 18% when both drives are in the same machine.
    But near 3% when both are in different machines. :)

That is because older 'generic' DVD devices have a high failure rate . On a straight line decline it is near 14% per year.  Otherwise, brand names devices go for years.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
    "This device is working properly" tells you more along the lines of the driver software properly communicating with the device and it not giving back any problems. But most devices "on the end of the cord" as it were don't have sophisticated self diagnostics.

When I insert a DVD movie or music CD in to play, nothing happens now.

Do you have software able to play Music or DVD Movies? Windows 10 doesn't come with a way to play DVDs, but you can use try software like VLC Media Player. Based on your description, It sounds like the "Autoplay" Features might not be working or were disabled.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 06:10:00 PM »
    IMHO anybody who wants to service his own computer stuff needs to have a few spare parts on hand. A generic DVD drive can be had for about %25. Likewise a spare hard drive and a stick of RAM. Considering that decent techs in the USA want $25 per hour and up, it's a good investment.   8)

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
    Do you have software able to play Music or DVD Movies? Windows 10 doesn't come with a way to play DVDs, but you can use try software like VLC Media Player.

Just wondering, what about the Windows Media Player that's part of windows, it plays DVD as far as I am aware of?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 04:47:16 PM »
    Swap the drives into another workin PC 1 at a time...you will know if they failed...or not.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 06:39:33 PM »
    Just wondering, what about the Windows Media Player that's part of windows, it plays DVD as far as I am aware of?

Windows 10 as far as I'm aware doesn't include any DVD nor Blu-Ray Codecs- However they will be brought forward during most upgrades.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.