Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: attaching old hard drive to new computer  (Read 2496 times)

montek

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    attaching old hard drive to new computer
    « on: December 28, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »
    hello people-- I just purchased a new HP desktop with a HDD and a SSD. I also have an old HP pavilion that I remover the Hard drive from and want to attach it to my new computer so as to ADD more space. I purchased from amazon the following item-- a USB 3.0 to SATA III adapter cable with UASP SATA to USB Converter for 2.5 " hard drives and Solid State drives. I plugged it into the back of the OLD hard drive and attached the USB end into my NEW computer. it should have shown up as ANOTHER hard drive- BUT it is NOT??? Ca anyone explain?? Please advise

As you can see from the pics-- the first pic- is the old hard drive from my original HP computer and the second pic- shows that cable/adapter that is connected to that drive and plugged into the new computer thru the USB port on the front of the new computer. This should be the new way of a so-called external hard drive connection in place of using the old Enclosure types-- why is the computer not recognizing the hard drive ??

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: attaching old hard drive to new computer
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 03:14:41 PM »
    I dont see any pics...it should be pics of Disk Management...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kiralykampot

Starter

• Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 03:55:38 AM »
      hello people-- I just purchased a new HP desktop with a HDD and a SSD. I also have an old HP pavilion that I remover the Hard drive from and want to attach it to my new computer so as to ADD more space. I purchased from amazon the following item-- a USB 3.0 to SATA III adapter cable with UASP SATA to USB Converter for 2.5 " hard drives and Solid State drives. I plugged it into the back of the OLD hard drive and attached the USB end into my NEW computer. it should have shown up as ANOTHER hard drive- BUT it is NOT??? Ca anyone explain?? Please advise

As you can see from the pics-- the first pic- is the old hard drive from my original HP computer and the second pic- shows that cable/adapter that is connected to that drive and plugged into the new computer thru the USB port on the front of the new computer. This should be the new way of a so-called external hard drive connection in place of using the old Enclosure types-- why is the computer not recognizing the hard drive ??

Could you search for 'disk management' within the control centre of Windows and screenshot what you see there.

It seems that the disk isn't immediately recognised by Windows, and that could be for a few reasons (perhaps most likely that it is formatted with a different file system)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:32:15 AM »
      From my own experience, third-party partition managers sometimes do better at fining a HDD that is not found by Windows. Here is a list of such partition managers.
      Best Free Disk Partition Software Tools
      My choice is MiniTool Partition Wizard Free.   :)