Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Motherboard -- Can the system handle 4 GB x 4 modules?  (Read 1955 times)

bullfrog

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I acquired an older computer (2009 era) and wish to increase its 'process' speed.  Currently - if it presented with too many tasks at once - it locks up and automatically reboots.  Currently has 2 (4 GB) modules - with room for 4 total.  Bus Clock:  333 megahertz.

I ran a Belarc Advisor report to obtain internal computer information.

Modules:  F2-8500 CLD5-4GBPK
                   DDR2-1066-PC2-8500

What additional information does one need to know to confirm?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    The motherboard supports 16GB as the maximum total. If you can findd 4GB DDR2 modules then you should be fine.

If you can find two more 4GB DDR2 modules then you can install them.

However,

Currently - if it presented with too many tasks at once - it locks up and automatically reboots.
    This sounds far more likely to be some other hard error, and won't be fixed by merely adding more memory.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    I had a system that acted like this before and it was a hard drive that wasnt healthy. If you can somehow get crystaldiskinfo to run on this system after the computer first boots, you can check the SMART data on the hard drive and see if the drive is healthy. If it shows up as Warning in Yellow then the hard drive would need to be replaced to fix for system health. If its Good in Green then the problem is somewhere else such as main board or corrupt build to which you will want to install the OS clean to the system.