Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Shutting Down  (Read 3846 times)

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer Shutting Down
    « on: January 10, 2020, 06:43:15 AM »
    I switched my computer on at 08:30 this morning. It has shut down twice since then. The first time about two hours after switch on, the second time at 12:55.

I believe a computer can shut down on account of temperatures within the PSU or elsewhere. I ran SpeedFan and found the following. I also felt the casing of the PSU and found it to be barely warm.   

Any thoughts please.
    El Baz is shuttlepod 05 of the USS Enterprise NCC1701-D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Shutting Down
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:28:58 AM »
    Hard to say without more detail.
    Here is a link relevant to your question:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000689.htm
    Why does my computer turn off without warning?
    Read it over and see if it helps you.  :)

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 12:07:39 PM »
      Hard to say without more detail.
      Here is a link relevant to your question:
      https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000689.htm
      Why does my computer turn off without warning?
      Read it over and see if it helps you.  :)

Thanks, the article more or less says what I've learned from watching various videos on YouTube.

I've just checked the PSU case, which feels cool. The same with the CPU and graphics card heat sinks. All fans are working normally. There is plenty ventilation as I've taken off one side of the computer case. 

I'm not going to tempt fate.
      El Baz is shuttlepod 05 of the USS Enterprise NCC1701-D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 01:33:50 PM »
      This is from dictation. Please ignore obvious errors.

Here is some additional information. Most modern desktop PCs used forced air cooling typically a desktop PC will have three or even for fans. One is on top of the CPU, another one is on the back of the case and a third is on the back of the power supply. In some cases there might even be a fourth fan mounted on a graphics processor card.
      All these fans must be working properly to keep the desktop PC running. If any one of these fans stop, the PC will probably shut down in a few minutes. Opening the sides of the PC case does not solve the problem of a bad fan.
      Besides the issue of the fan, internal temperatures may rise up to a point where it will cause the computer to stop because of a thermal cutout device that is sensitive to heat.
      One of the other problems that occurs very often is a video card becomes displaced. This is a very common problem, especially if the case has been dropped or recently moved from one location to another. And in some cases the problem does not show up immediately, it causes a intermittent condition where sometimes it makes contact another times it doesn't. That is very annoying, because it causes an individual to think of different things that are not the real cause. Such as one might suspect power fluctuations or things like that when really it is just an intermittent condition that occurs because the PC graphics card is not fully seated in the slot. That does happen, but I have no way of knowing if that is your problem. Be aware that any time you open the case there is a possibility of doing damage to it. So be very careful when you have computer case open. Also, it is a bad idea to run the computer with the case open because something just might fall into it like a little screw and offered something out.
      Again, having more details about the specific make and model of your computer will help myself and others to do some research. Many members of this forum are very well experienced in doing research on desktop PC problems. If you provide more details, it will help others help you.

We want to help you as best we can.  :)

End dictation.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 02:03:28 PM »
      Hi
      The first thing i notice on the speed fan report is the 12v rail being at 8.76v which could either be a problem with speed fan or that the power supply is over loaded certainly the 12 v reading is way to low.
      Can you either list your hardware components or run Speccy and post a report link
      Also a photo of the power supply label with model and specs would help as well.

Speccy from here https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download/standard

After it runs select file then publish report and copy the address here
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan